June 14, 2012

Review: The Book Thief by: Markus Zusak


The Book Thief by: Markus Zusak (2005)
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
550 pages
Genre: YA 

Summary:  Liesel is a book thief in a very dangerous time, Nazi Germany, 1939. It all began when her brother died and she stole her first book. She falls in love with books and the power of words. The novel will guide you through her time as a child and the challenges she faces growing up in Nazi Germany. One of the biggest challenges, Liesel’s foster family decides to hide a Jew in their basement.

Review: Read it. This book is all around an amazing read. It pulls on your heart strings and won’t let go even after you have finished reading. I know this book came out a few years ago, but because it got so much hype in the media I was nervous to give it a try. Just because a lot of people are buying a book and it is popular, doesn’t mean it is all that good. So when I started up this blog I decided that it was about time I read this book and then I will be able to share my opinion about it just like everyone else. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Let’s start with the narrator. The narrator is not Liesel, but Death. I don’t think I have ever really read a book before where Death is the narrator. At first I was a little concerned, but then I realized that what other narrator could you have besides Death for this story? There was so much death during World War II.  I find this book different from all of the other ones out there about World War II because of the narrator. You get to see the war from a different side, one that is creative and really shines light on the number of deaths because of World War II. To say the very least, Death’s narration was interesting.

Every character in this book was intriguing. I wanted to know what happened to them, and the author does a great job at bringing the reader a sense of closure once you get to the end of the book. I don’t think I can ever forget these characters from Liesel to Rudy, it is almost as if they are real and a part of my life, that is how much this book connects with your emotions.

This book is unique, breathtaking, intriguing, happy, sad, and everything in between. This review is not even  doing this book justice. If you haven’t read this book yet because you are skeptical like I was, don’t, just pick it up and take a chance. The worst thing that could happen, you hate it and waste a few hours of your life. The best thing that could happen, you read an amazing book that makes you see things differently and understand the power of words.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top