February 11, 2013

Review: The Archived by: Victoria Schwab

The Archived by: Victoria Schwab (2013)
Publisher: Hyperion
336 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Suspense/Thriller/Fantasy

Goodreads Summary: Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often—violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn’t just dangerous—it’s a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da’s death was hard enough, but now her little brother is gone too. Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.

My Review

This book exploded on the internet and I was eagerly awaiting its release. So here is the big question with this one… did it live up to its hype?  I’m going to have to say yes and no. I think all of the hype from other bloggers made my expectations too high. So here it is, my four star review of The Archived. 

Let's start with the characters. I was really excited about Mackenzie Bishop. Her character starts off strong and promising, I really couldn't wait to read a book with a strong female lead. However, as I got farther into the book my love for her wavered.  I can’t go into great detail here because it would ruin some of the plot, but let’s just say that I expected a little bit more out of her. I will note that I was hesitant about loving Wesley, I’m not a huge guyliner black nail polish wearing fan, but his personality was so amazing that I didn't care. I however didn't like the fact that we don’t get that much interaction with this character, I wanted more.

I really enjoyed Schwab’s writing style. I love how she seamlessly incorporates Mackenzie's past relationship with Da into the novel to help us better understand The Archive. There were some scenes that were so well written I got goosebumps, and not just from the creepiness of this novel. Which by the way, I advise that you don’t read this book late at night when it is super dark and your husband is sound asleep. It gets scary.

The action in this novel was very fast paced. The plot moved forward so quickly that at times I think I got whiplash. Although I enjoyed that it was full of mystery and action, I was kind of hoping for it to slow down just a little. I would have loved to get to spend some more time with Mac being a keeper and her general life before the conspiracies and such popped into the story. I just wanted a little more.

I really did enjoy this novel. It was definitely different and full of suspense. I just can’t give it a five because, and I am sorry to say this, but I didn't love it enough. I am still recommending this book to others, especially those looking for a amazingly written creepy novel. Enjoy!

Rating: 4/5   BUY The Archived                                            

3 comments:

  1. You know, I was really wondering about all the hype with this one because I kept seeing it everywhere, but it just wasn't hooking me in. Nice to know it is a decent book, but I think I'll probably skip this one. Too many other books vying for my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good book it just wasn't as great as I hoped it would be. Sometimes all the hype makes my expectations too high. I understand about too many other books...I have so many I want/need to read. :)

      Delete
  2. It's a shame when hype leads to disappointment. It happens a lot. I think I read this early enough that I was expecting a good book but not the best thing i've ever read. I had some little issue with this book but I loved the originality of it so much. Guyliner was my favorite too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top