November 21, 2016

Get Graphic!

Here is a new mini review round-up of all the graphic novels I have read recently. Go head, get graphic!

Five Stars

Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier (Sept. 2016)

Raina Telgemeier never dissapoints. Ghosts is different than her other novels, but just as amazing. Fans of her artwork and story telling will enjoy this graphic novel just as much as all her others. Family, friends, and ghosts oh my! I loved hearing about Day of the Dead celebrations and to learn a little more about it. Cat must move because her sister is sick. It takes her a while to warm up to her new town, it was a realistic story of making friends and the importance of family. I loved it.


Faith (1) by Jody Houser (July 2016)

A realistic looking female superhero who is AMAZING?! Heck yes! Faith is a pretty hilarious kick-butt superhero. This is a graphic novel for every girl and guy of every age. I loved the plot, setting, and basically everything otherwise I wouldn't have given it five stars. Read this. Do it.



Four Stars

Prison Island: A Graphic Memoir by Colleen Frakes (2015)

I read this book simply out of curiosity. I wanted to know what it would have been like living on a prison island, and I got my answer! I liked the drawings and the story, but it could have been a little longer. I would have loved to learn even more about prison island. This is a quick read that was very interesting. I recommend it.



Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Vol. 1: Hooked On A Feline (July 2016)

I absolutely loved this comic! The illustrations are fun and full of color. They are definitely my favorite type of drawing style. It was cute. I also thought the story was a lot of fun. I knew nothing about Hellcat before this comic, and that didn't matter too much. They gave a quick little backstory at the beginning. I loved meeting Patsy and her friends. I can't wait for the next volume!



Lucky Penny by Hirsh & Ota (March 2016)

Lucky Penny wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it a great deal. Penny is a little weird and rather interesting character. I was hesitant at first, but once I got into the story I couldn't put it down. It was a fun and unique read. I know what it feels like to feel unlucky. I just wish it would have been in color.



Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Dana Simpson (2014)
Goodreads

I have always been curious about why so many kids at the library love these books. I finally decided to give them a try myself. The verdict, they are a delight! The sassy unicorn and her new bff Phoebe are hilarious.




Three Stars

This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki, Jillian Tamaki (2014)

The two girls in this story were so very annoying! I know they were young and I am sure I acted like them when I was younger, but they were a little to annoying for me, at least the one girl was. Rose wasn't too bad. This is a graphic novel about growing up filled with detailed drawings of a summer town. It was pretty good overall, but could have been better.


Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks and Geeks (#1) by Faith Erin Hicks (June 2016)

I am and will always be a huge Buffly the Vampire Slayer fan. I own every season on DVD. I watched Angel. I at one point wished I could actually be "the chosen one." (Yes, I know this is a work of fiction.) The one thing I didn't ever do was read the graphic novels so when I heard about this new reboot I knew I had to give it a try. I liked this graphic novel a lot, but it was a very basic/introductory story. I was a little disapointed about that, but I did like the artwork. It was unique. 


4 comments:

  1. Of these, I've only read Ghosts, but Buffy looks good! I'm reading Nimona (I know, finally) right now for one of the library book club's I'm in (Quirky, Clever, & Questionable Book Club) and it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are reading Nimona! Enjoy! (I love that book club name and I am sure you read some goood stuff.)

      Delete
  2. Ahhh! I need to read Ghosts. I just read Drama so I' almost done reading her original stories.
    Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! looks so cool. I'm planning on reading a lot of comics in 2017 so seeing characters I've never heard of before that have you so excited has me excited (:
    Oh too bad for Buffy! I loved Buffy and watched Angel too. I've been eyeing the comics lately. Maybe try a different storyline?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top