January 6, 2018

Review: The Chaos of Standing Still by Jessica Brody

The Chaos of Standing Still by Jessica Brody (Nov. 28, 2017)
Length: 320 pages
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: I received an eARC from the publisher through Edelweiss. Thank you! This did NOT affect my honest review.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: Over the course of one chaotic night stranded at the Denver airport, Ryn confronts her shattered past thanks to the charm of romance, the uniqueness of strangers, and the magic of ordinary places in this stunning novel from the author of Boys of Summer. Ryn has one unread text message on her phone. And it’s been there for almost a year. She hasn’t tried to read it. She can’t. She won’t. Because that one message is the last thing her best friend ever said to her before she died. But as Ryn finds herself trapped in the Denver International Airport on New Year’s Eve thanks to a never-ending blizzard on the one-year anniversary of her best friend’s death, fate literally runs into her. And his name is Xander. When the two accidentally swap phones, Ryn and Xander are thrust into the chaos of an unforgettable all-night adventure, filled with charming and mysterious strangers, a secret New Year’s Eve bash, and a possible Illuminati conspiracy hidden within the Denver airport. But as the bizarre night continues, all Ryn can think about is that one unread text message. It follows her wherever she goes, because Ryn can’t get her brialliantly wild and free-spirited best friend out of her head. Ryn can’t move on. But tonight, for the first time ever, she’s trying. And maybe that’s a start.

My Review

The Chaos of Standing Still in Three Words: Mournful. Meaningful. Humorful.

A must read for all. This heartbreaking story of the loss of a best friend will pull at your heart strings from start to finish.

The Chaos of Standing Still features Ryn, a teenage girl trying to come to terms with her best friend's death, and Xander, a unique and charming guy who is working through his own stuff. While a blizzard brews outside, both are stranded at the Denver International Airport for the night. With the help of Xander's outgoing, fun, kind, and unique personality, Ryn starts to figure out life after a horrible loss.

Every character is complex and interesting. The setting is rich with description and I was easily transported into the airport with the horde of frustrated stranded travelers. Jessica Brody knows how to tell a story that will grip you from page one.

The Bottom Line: Worth a purchase but to save money you can always get a free copy from the library. Either way, you don't want to miss out on this one!


3 comments:

  1. I took a break from writing my own review of this one and saw yours! What are the odds? :D We did have very similar thoughts on the book; like you, I was immediately transported into the airport setting. It was still with me almost a month after I read it when I was in the airport myself! I couldn't stop thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this sounded good when I first read the blurb, so I'm glad to see you liked it. I always think I've read one of her books already and have to double-check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound really good and I'm happy that you enjoyed it. I'll have to check me library and see if they carry it. If not, Amazon here I come.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top