November 23, 2012

Review: The Kill Order by: James Dashner

The Kill Order by: James Dashner
Publisher: Random House children's books
336 pages
Genre: Young Adult

Summary: This book is a prequel to The Maze Runner series. It is the story about Mark and Trina and their fight to stay alive when the sun flares hit Earth.

Review: I believe that The Maze Runner series ended rather nicely, all tied up like a pretty bow. (Well, not perfectly pretty but pretty much.) I'm not sure Dashner needed to write this prequel, but he did, I read it, and I guess I better tell you what I think.

This book has love, adventure, death, struggle, and was somewhat disappointing. I know this is a prequel which means we pretty much already know what happens in the long run thanks to the last book in the Maze Runner series, but I can't help but saying I was slightly disappointed, especially with the ending (not the top-secret classified files at the end, those rocked). Although, I did enjoy some of the really awesome fight scenes.

It took me a while to really latch on to the two main characters, Mark and Trina. For some reason I was hoping we would be getting more information about the characters from the first book in the series. In the end, I grew to tolerate them and even, dare I say it, like them a little. (I believe the old army guy that hangs out with these two is way more interesting.)

On the other hand, this book will give fans of the series some more insight on what happened when the sun flares hit Earth and how it completely changed people's lives, how long it takes for people to go a little crazy, and why they did. So, if you are looking for answers this book is pretty helpful. If you have the patience. The narrative jumps back and forth from Mark's point of view from when the flares went off to the present, giving the reader answers while at the same time Dashner continues to drag out the reveal of these answers by constantly going back and forth from the past to the present. I know he does this to add suspense and usually I don't mind and enjoy when authors do this, but for some reason I was just overly frustrated with this aspect of the novel.

Okay...Okay...Okay... I feel like I am being a little too negative here, so I can promise you one very important positive thing about this book. The top-secret files at the very end of the book will make reading it worthwhile. It was cute, and although slightly expected, made the whole series really come together.

I may have initially picked up the book with a little bit of negativity, I wasn't a huge fan of the last book in the series and it just seemed like it should be over, but if you have read the other books go ahead and read this one. If you look at the book as a whole, it's pretty good.

Rating: 3.5/5  BUY The Kill Order

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top