March 6, 2014

Review: The Distance Between Us by: Kasie West

The Distance Between Us by: Kasie West (2013)
320 pages
Genre: YA/Contemporary/Romance
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: The Library
Goodreads Summary: Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

My Review

YES. YES. YES. The Distance Between Us was a beyond words can describe delightful read. I thought it would be a typical teen romance drama, but luckily for me it wasn’t.

From the very first page I automatically loved the characters. Caymen is a sarcastic delight that had me laughing throughout the entire novel. Her sarcastic comments about the rich, the creepy dolls at the store her mother owns, and everything else had me smiling. Xander is beyond adorable and although troubled, (but what teenager isn’t?) a wonderfully awesome guy. Caymen’s best friend is kind of eccentric but cool, and Caymen’s mother is ever present and a huge part of the novel, not to mention pretty darn great. I could keep going on and on about how wonderful all of the many characters are in this novel, but I won’t, because I want you to discover them on your own.

This story has a pretty much perfectly written romance, I loved Xander and Caymen and all of their interactions, but it also has so much more. I felt like it really showed what it meant to be a teenager among different classes. It also emphasized the importance of family and how you love them but they can also be a pain. West did a great job at writing a young adult novel that was a light fun read but touched on important issues that teens struggle with as well.

If you are a young adult contemporary fan then I’m sure you will enjoy The Distance Between Us, heck, even if you aren't you will probably most definitely still like the book. If you want a relationship that will have you smiling or if you want a cute fun read where you will sigh with content while reading, then the The Distance Between Us should be your first pick. Therefore, I think you may as well just go ahead and read this one. I'm so glad Nicole from The Quiet Concert recommended this one!

4 comments:

  1. It takes a lot for a YA contemporary romance to make it on my radar and I think this one just has :) I love great characters and sarcastic humor in my books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will really like this book if you like sarcastic humor!! :D

      Delete
  2. Again I just love when you read books I love and love them too. It is such a great feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love your wonderful taste in books. :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top