December 6, 2013

Review: The Registry by: Shannon Stoker

The Registry by: Shannon Stoker (#1)
336 pages
Genre: Dystopian
Publisher: William Morrow
Source: The Library
Goodreads Summary: The Registry saved the country from collapse. But stability has come at a price. In this patriotic new America, girls are raised to be brides, sold at auction to the highest bidder. Boys are raised to be soldiers, trained by the state to fight to their death.

Nearly eighteen, beautiful Mia Morrissey excitedly awaits the beginning of her auction year. But a warning from her married older sister raises dangerous thoughts. Now, instead of going up on the block, Mia is going to escape to Mexico—and the promise of freedom.

All Mia wants is to control her own destiny—a brave and daring choice that will transform her into an enemy of the state, pursued by powerful government agents, ruthless bounty hunters, and a cunning man determined to own her . . . a man who will stop at nothing to get her back.

My Review

The Registry could have been so much more than what it was; it was such a unique idea but wasn’t well executed and in the end fell flat. Girls must marry or end up working a crappy government job and boys must serve in the army, and if they don’t do these things they will be severely punished. This sounded so promising and yet there was just something missing from the whole book.  I’m sad to say that although I liked this book, I didn’t love it.

I had no connection to the characters in The Registry. Not to a single one of them. (Okay I may be exaggerating just a little.) I didn’t get to know them, not the good guys or the “bad guys.” The characters were not memorable to me and I believe this was due to the fact that I never got a feel for who they really were. Mia was very niave, and she drove me crazy. It wasn’t her fault she lived a sheltered life, but that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t have any common sense. Andrew, a young man who worked on Mia’s family farm, ends up helping Mia and her friend escape from their duty to be married to whoever their parents chose for them. Andrew was the most interesting character and I did enjoy it when we got to see things from his perspective, he lived a hard life since boys are only raised to serve in the military and many families don’t even keep their male children, but give them to orphanages. Grant is Mia’s soon to be husband and one crazy dude. Although he fit really well into the evil husband category, there was something missing about his character too. Not to mention Mia’s parents, who only care about money. Everyone in this book was just strange and so out there at times that I really couldn’t understand why they would do and say the things they did which may be why I had such a hard time connecting to them. There is also some romance in the novel, but I don't think it was handled all that well and sometimes it seemed forced.

So now that I have complained enough I’m going to get to some of the good aspects of The Registry. Stoker knows how to write action scenes, so well in fact that the big show down at the end of the book had me on the edge of my seat. Not to mention how much I love that each chapter began with a brief excerpt from either The Registry Guide for Girls or The Boy’s Guide to Service, which brings me to one other great point about this book, no info dumbs. I can tell you that even though the characters were hard for me to connect with I am intrigued enough to probably read the second book. I actually think it will be better just because I do know the characters better now after reading the first book.

So The Registry isn’t the best dystopian novel but there are some pretty awesome action scenes. Plus, even though I didn’t connect with the characters doesn’t mean you won’t. Therefore I’m not sure how to recommend this book, you will have to figure that out on your own.

8 comments:

  1. The synopsis sounds really compelling, but this is a tricky one. On one hand I LOVE ACTION, but characters really are what sells a story for me. I don't know. I think I may put this one on my TBR, but I don't know if I'll get to it any time soon.

    Samantha @ Reading-AndCoffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I could have gotten to know the characters more. Like you I love action, but I also need to feel something for the characters to really love a book.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry this was disappointing :(
    It sounded interesting though. I hate it when a book doesn't live up to what it 'seems to offer'.
    Great review though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm super sad it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.

      Delete
  3. Boo for senseless girls and not living up to its potential. But yay for awesome action scenes! I think I will wait to hear your thoughts on the sequel and if it does improve than I'll have to add it to the list! (or move it up, since I'm pretty sure it's already on the list) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a good idea. Plus, it is always nice to start a book when its sequel is already out. I'll keep you posted. :)

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this book before but it sounds so interesting! I hate naive female MCs but I think I'll give this one a shot. Not any time soon, though. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still a good book I just think it could have been amazing. But oh well... I hope you enjoy it once you get around to reading it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top