December 16, 2013

Three Mini Reviews: Also Known As, The Fault in Our Stars, & Going Too Far

Also Known As by: Robin Benway (2013)
320 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Genre: YA
Source: The Library
Purchase: Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository
Goodreads Summary: Being a 16-year-old safecracker and active-duty daughter of international spies
has its moments, good and bad. Pros: Seeing the world one crime-solving adventure at a time. Having parents with super cool jobs. Cons: Never staying in one place long enough to have friends or a boyfriend. But for Maggie Silver, the biggest perk of all has been avoiding high school and the accompanying cliques, bad lunches, and frustratingly simple locker combinations.

Then Maggie and her parents are sent to New York for her first solo assignment, and all of that changes. She'll need to attend a private school, avoid the temptation to hack the school's security system, and befriend one aggravatingly cute Jesse Oliver to gain the essential information she needs to crack the case . . . all while trying not to blow her cover.

My Review: Also Known As was a delightful read. If you are looking for something light and funny then this is a sure bet. I loved reading about Maggie and her spy skills and her first time figuring out high school. All the characters are great, especially her best friend, Roux, who is a whirlwind of awesome. The plot was entertaining, and I'm not sure I have anything bad to say about Also Known As except that I would have liked to see Maggie in even more spy situations. This book made me want to be a spy so bad. The best news, there is going to be a sequel and it comes out in January! So start reading.







The Fault in Our Stars by: John Green (2012)
318 pages
Publisher: Dutton Books
Genre: YA
Source: The Library
Purchase: Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository
Goodreads Summary: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My Review: Tissues. You need tissues to read this book. Hazel and Augustus have a very cute and sad love story, but one that I'm glad I got to experience. Given their circumstances they seem to be full of life and Hazel is a hilarious narrator. (She made me laugh at times when I feel like I shouldn't.) Even the minor characters, especially Isaac, had something to bring to the table. The most important thing that I think that this book has to offer is the importance of trying to live life and to leave your mark. I'm a little behind in that I just now got around to reading this book and most of you probably already have, but if you haven't you should. I can't wait to see the movie!






Going Too Far by: Jennifer Echols (2009)
245
Publisher: Pocket Books/MTV Books
Genre: YA/Romance
Source: The Library
Purchase: Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository
Goodreads Summary: HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO?
All Meg has ever wanted is to get away. Away from high school. Away from her backwater town. Away from her parents who seem determined to keep her imprisoned in their dead-end lives. But one crazy evening involving a dare and forbidden railroad tracks, she goes way too far...and almost doesn't make it back.

John made a choice to stay. To enforce the rules. To serve and protect. He has nothing but contempt for what he sees as childish rebellion, and he wants to teach Meg a lesson she won't soon forget. But Meg pushes him to the limit by questioning everything he learned at the police academy. And when he pushes back, demanding to know why she won't be tied down, they will drive each other to the edge -- and over....

My Review: This was a very enjoyable read and for some reason I'm extra harsh on romance novels so for me to say it was very enjoyable is great news. The characters were intense and interesting. I actually wasn't annoyed by anyone, which for me is surprising. I loved that instead of a bad boy the book featured a "bad girl." The relationship between John and Meg didn't seem forced but flowed pretty well instead. I liked that I got to see the characters grow and change separate and together. This was a solid young adult contemporary romance and if you are a fan of those type of books you will probably enjoy Going Too Far.

My Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

13 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read Also Known As for awhile now. I think I will check it out soon. Nice reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AKA is definitely delightful! I love Robin Benway's books, they're so funny and smart and well done. I think Going Too Far is my second favorite Jennifer Echols book. I agree about the bad girl character being refreshing and that the story happened in a really natural way. And no comment about The Fault In Our Stars since I haven't read it yet (shame on me!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try out another Robin Benway book since I enjoyed this one so much! Going Too Far was my first Jennifer Echols book and I was pretty satisfied. Got any suggestions on which book of hers I should read next?

      Delete
  3. These all sounds wonderful. I have never tried a Green book. I know *looks around* I think I am the last blogger on earth who hasn't. Thanks for sharing your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the last blogger who had never read a Green book!! So I'm sure there are more out there...no worries. :)

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed Also Known As! I thought it was so much fun too! And The Fault In Our Stars... such a sad book. I too laughed and then felt bad about laughing. This was my first John Green book and I definitely want to read more of his work. And an early(er) Jennifer Echols book! I liked the books I've read by her so far I might have to go back and check this one out. She cranks books out like nobody's business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad I'm not the only one that was laughing while reading Fault In Our Stars and then felt like they shouldn't be. This was my first book of his too and I'm not sure what to read next.

      Delete
  5. One of these days I will finally get to The Fault in Our Stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally did so I have faith in you! :) It was worth it although very sad.

      Delete
  6. I totally agree, Also Known As should have had more spy situations. :/ I would have enjoyed the book even more than I did! :D

    Great Mini reviews Kay! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the next Also Known As (Going Rouge) book and I'm hoping there is even more spy situations! *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  7. I still haven't read The Fault in Our Stars, and one of the last bloggers to pick up John Green most likely- Soon I hope. I like your quick and to the point mini reviews. Thanks Kay :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top