January 16, 2017

Review: Love & First Sight

Love and First Sight by Josh Sundquist (Jan. 3, 2017)
Length: 281 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary/Romance/Diversity
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Source: The library.
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: Love is more than meets the eye. On his first day at a new school, blind sixteen-year-old Will Porter accidentally groped a girl on the stairs, sat on another student in the cafeteria, and somehow drove a classmate to tears. High school can only go up from here, right? As Will starts to find his footing, he develops a crush on a sweet but shy girl named Cecily. And despite his fear that having a girlfriend will make him inherently dependent on someone sighted, the two of them grow closer and closer. Then an unprecedented opportunity arises: an experimental surgery that could give Will eyesight for the first time in his life. But learning to see is more difficult than Will ever imagined, and he soon discovers that the sighted world has been keeping secrets. It turns out Cecily doesn’t meet traditional definitions of beauty—in fact, everything he’d heard about her appearance was a lie engineered by their so-called friends to get the two of them together. Does it matter what Cecily looks like? No, not really. But then why does Will feel so betrayed?

My Review

Love & First Sight in Three Words: Brilliant. Funny. Warm.

Love and First Sight is many things. Wholly original and wonderfully funny are just a few of the many ways I could describe this book. This is one I won't soon forget.

Filled with laughter, warm feelings, and struggle, Love and First Sight was much more than I anticipated. I actually just grabbed this book on a whim when it came across my path at the library. I had seen it before but never knew much about it so I just randomly decided to take a chance. I usually always read from a list and choose books from that list based on my mood, but after how well this chance turned out I may have to change my reading habits a bit.

Will is blind and has been his entire life. At the age of 16 he takes a chance on enrolling in a public high school for the very first time. Although his first day has some embarrassing moments, he keeps on keeping on and takes it in stride. Will is brave and clever. It was different and enlightening to experience the world how Will does. I could tell the author did his research on what it may mean to be blind and on the surgery that Will has the option of undergoing so he can see again. (The author also talks about some of his research at the back of the book.) Cecily is another important character and a friend in Will's life. She is one of the first he makes at his new school and over time he starts to fall for her, but life is never that easy.

I think I will just leave you with that thought. Go experience the book yourself.

The Verdict: A MUST read.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a truly original read, one that'll keep you glued to the pages! I love the sound of it and the characters. Might have to pick it up when I can. Thanks for sharing and wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good! You should give it a try. Not enough people are reading this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top