September 28, 2012

My Love/Hate Relationship with my E-Reader

I have owned an e-reader now for two years and I both love it and hate it. I figured it was time that I make a post to give you my take on e-readers. I know many avid readers that either love their e-reader or hate it. So if you are trying to decide which group you belong to then take a look at my post and hopefully it will help you make a decision. Or just read my post and leave some comments sharing your opinion of e-readers. I would love to hear what other book junkies out there think of this topic.

My E-Reader
I have the Sony e-reader. It is a very basic one that doesn't work like an ipad like many of the others. It is basically used to just read books, not surf the internet or watch movies. Although, it does have wi-fi on it so I can purchase books or get free ones from my library whenever I want. It is a very simple e-reader. I like that it is so simple because I just use it for books, which is what it is meant to be used for anyway, right?

Love
  • It is light and easy to carry with me wherever I go, especially on trips. 
  • When I go somewhere I have the option of reading many different books all on one device. I no longer have to pack two books in my bag in case I finish one. Instead my e-reader has multiple books on it. I think it holds like 1,000 books.
  • I can purchase a new book the second it comes out. I don't have to wait until the book store opens the next morning.
  • The books are cheaper to buy, although not always much cheaper.
  • I can rent books from the library even when they are closed.
Hate
  • It doesn't have that new and old book smell.
  • Sometimes I really miss holding an actual book in my hand. That is why that even though I have the e-reader I still buy old school hardcover and paperback books.
  • I can't display my e-books on a shelf.
  • Always having access to buy books in the palm of my hand can get expensive.
As you can see, sometimes I love my e-reader and sometimes I don't. All in all, I'm glad I have the e-reader for trips and instant new-release purchases, but it doesn't keep me from still buying actual books.

Feedback
What do you think? Do you have an e-reader and if so do you love it? If you don't have one would you ever consider buying one? Please leave your comments below. I can't wait to see what other readers have to say on this topic, plus I'm sure I've forgotten to touch on some things in this post.

3 comments:

  1. I don't have an e-reader and I'm not sure I'll ever get one. Sometimes I do wish for the convenience, especially while travelling, but I can't bring myself to spend the money on an e-reader when I have over 300 books in paper format that I haven't read yet (no joke - this is where my blog name comes from! I seriously might need a book-buyers anonymous or something...)

    I feel I've made such an investment in my actual book collection that I shouldn't also be spending money on an e-reader and e-books. I also love to display my books and lend them to friends and family which I can't do with e-books. Call me old-school, but I'm a paper book girl all the way. My husband and I are in the middle of buying a house, and bookshelves are VERY high on the priority list in terms of organization & decorating once we move in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cost of an e-reader is pretty expensive. Luckily I got my first one as a Christmas gift a few years ago and then as a wedding present, my husband bought me an upgraded version. I don't think I could spend the money on it either.

    I love your blog name! My last cheap bookcase I had, I literally bent the shelves from having too many books on them.

    It is really frustrating when I tell one of my friends about this new book I read and I can't give it to them to borrow, they also don't like it very much. So I totally agree with you there. Nothing wrong with being old school.

    You will have to post a picture once you get a house with all your bookshelves up. I would love to see that! Good luck with the house hunting.

    I really enjoyed your comment. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get my cousin's (very handy) husband to help us build some custom bookshelves & I will definitely post pictures...hopefully sooner rather than later!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top