May 9, 2016

Get Graphic!

Here is a new mini review round-up of all the graphic novels I have read recently. Go head, get graphic!

5 Stars


Grayson: Agents of Spyral (#1) by  Tim Seeley, Tom King (Jan. 2016)

I absolutely loved these comics. Grayson is amazing. Did you know that he was originally Robin from Batman & Robin? I didn't, but luckily there is some really nice background information at the beginning of the story so I didn't need to know. I loved this story and illustrations. I may have a new fictional crush. Read it!



4.5 Stars



Giant Days (Vol. 2) by John Allison
Goodreads

The sequel was just as much fun as the first one! The characters are interesting and unique and even though the stories are out there they are still relatable.




4 Stars


Batgirl, Vol. 1: Batgirl of Burnside (Batgirl Vol. IV #6) by Cameron Stewart (2015)
Goodreads

I like this Batgirl who wears converse/boot type shoes and sports a leather jacket instead of spandex. I really liked Barbara Gordon. She is smart, strong, and relatable. I liked the story arc in these comics, but at times I did get a little lost. Overall this one was a lot of fun!


Adulthood Is a Myth: A "Sarah's Scribbles" Collection by Sarah Andersen (March 2016)
Goodreads

This graphic novel is pretty darn accurate and entertaining. It reminded me of myself quite a bit. The drawings are adorable and I just wish there were even more.


Will & Whit by Laura Lee Gulledge (2013)
Goodreads

I liked the illustrations, but I loved the story this time around. It is sweet and interesting. I think teens would love this book. I was just a little sad that the illustrations aren't in color. I think color would have really enhanced the story.


The Worrier's Guide to Life by Gemma Correll (2015)
Goodreads

This one wasn't my favorite. I liked the art a lot. I did not like the content as much. Many people will, but the style of the whole piece just wasn't for me. I did think some of the comics were pretty true and funny, but as a worrier I was kind of disapointed.



3.5 Stars


Emma, Vol. 1 by Kaoru Mori (2015)
Goodreads

Emma is the first Manga I have ever read. It was a very rough start since you read them backwards than what I am used to, but I did get the hang of it after a while. I liked the story just fine and enjoyed the wonderful drawings with all of it's lines and details. It was a good read.



Wolf Volume 1: Blood and Magic by Ales Kot, Matt Taylor, Lee Loughridge (2015)
Goodreads

Wolf is unique and very interesting. Antoine Wolfe is a complex main character who is just trying to save his brother in a world of creatures, evil, vampires, and magic. I love the cover and the art and how gritty everything is.



Baba Yaga's Assistant by Marika McCoola (2015)
Goodreads

I was slightly disapointed by this read, but it may be just because of my age. I liked the story okay and the illustrations just fine. I was just hoping it would be a little more spooky.




2.5 Stars


A Silent Voice, Vol. 1 by Yoshitoki Ooima (2013)
Goodreads

(Spoilers Ahead) I am really not sure I can recommend A Silent Voice to anyone. It's all about a boy who bullies a deaf girl. He is horrible to her and people either encourage him or turn a blind eye. When he does finally get punished.... everyone then bullies him. What kind of message is that?! Not a fan.



6 comments:

  1. I love the way you set these up! It's nice to see them all laid out under the ratings. I'm always on the lookout for new graphic novels to add to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren!!! I hope you enjoy your next graphic novel read. :D

      Delete
  2. You are destroying me when it comes to reading comics!
    I did know about Grayson being Robin. He's the second one I believe or the first? I can remember if Tim Drake or Dick Grayson was the original Robin.
    I've been meaning to read Giant Days and you thankfully reminded me about it. Hopefully I can find it at my library.
    I have to finish reading Adulthood is a Myth. I know the author's work from tumblr. Her work is so ME.
    Batgirl was pretty good. Something was missing for me though.
    The Wolf comics cover looks awesome. I'm really curious to learn more about it.
    I know Baba Yaga is getting basically three star reviews everywhere I look but I'm still so tempted because of the illustrator and premise.
    WHAT!? Is the bully in Silent Voice supposed to redeem himself at any point???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that means you must read more comics!! lol
      I loved Grayson and can't wait to read the second one.
      Giant Days is good and I thin you will like it.
      I liked Batgirl, but I liked Thor Goddess of Thunder better.
      At the end of Silent Voice he was kind of trying to be better, but ugh!

      Delete
  3. I want to check out Adulthood is a Myth! The Worrier's Guide to Life also looks interesting. I do wonder if would also miss the mark with me, but as a worrier too, I think I might check it out anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top