May 16, 2016

Review: A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

A Study in Charlotte (#1) by Brittany Cavallaro (March 2016)
321 pages
Genre: Young Adult Sherlock Holmes Retelling
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Source: The library.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: The last thing Jamie Watson wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that’s not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detective’s great-great-great-granddaughter, who has inherited not only Sherlock’s genius but also his volatile temperament. From everything Jamie has heard about Charlotte, it seems safer to admire her from afar.

From the moment they meet, there’s a tense energy between them, and they seem more destined to be rivals than anything else. But when a Sherringford student dies under suspicious circumstances, ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Jamie can no longer afford to keep his distance. Jamie and Charlotte are being framed for murder, and only Charlotte can clear their names. But danger is mounting and nowhere is safe—and the only people they can trust are each other.

My Review

I love everything and anything to do with Sherlock Holmes. So when I heard about this new young adult retelling where the teenagers are actual descendants from the original Sherlock and Watson I was like "Sign me up!" Let me tell you something, it was just about as good as I thought it would be. 

A Study in Charlotte was a wonderful read. I enjoyed Cavallaro's writing style. I liked the setting and the mystery, and I pretty much LOVED Watson and Charlotte quite a bit. Watson is obsessed with his ancestry, and I can't blame him. Who wouldn't want to be a Watson? He is a sweet kid who is a great friend and just trying to sort out his family relationships white trying to fit in at his new boarding school. Charlotte is just like a Holmes would be. She is crazy smart, intense, and a little cold. These two make a great team. 

The only part of A Study in Charlotte I wasn't a big fan of was a small thing to do with the plot. I am not talking about it being unrealistic, because that was kind of to be expected and didn't bother me none. I can't really talk about what really bothered me without giving anything away so let's just say that I figured out who the killer was sooner than I would have...

If you are a Sherlock fan then you should definitely give this book a try. It was a lot of fun and dark and it will make you smile. Sorry for another short review, but the words just haven't been coming to me lately. Hopefully my next review will flow a little more smoothly.

4 comments:

  1. I learned about this book a while back, I love Sherlock Holmes so I feel like I would feel the same way as you. What was that other Sherlock Holmes book you read a while back about Moriarty? Anyways, I think I'll like Watson, since he felt like sweet kid to you. The predictability may or may not apply to me because I'm always second guessing myself with mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love Sherlock then this is a must! The other one I read was Every Breath!! Also very good.

      Delete
  2. I adored this book. I can't seem to remember who the killer was. Its been a while and I guess if I figured it out sooner than later it didn't bother me. I did like it though and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top