September 26, 2016

Mini Book Reviews: Cruel Beauty, Don't Tempt Me, Empire of Storms

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (2014)
Goodreads


Cruel Beauty is a fairy tale retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I am a sucker for fair tale retellings, and this one was pretty good, but not great. Nyx's father made a deal with the powerful and immortal Ignifex, the ruler of their kingdom. She has to marry him. Nyx spent her life training to kill Ignifex when the time came so she would be able to break the curse over her city, but nothing goes as she plans. Nyx was an okay character, but her resentment towards her family got a little old and prompted some eye rolling from me. I liked Ignifex the best, but the real reason this book got three stars from me is because of the crazy cool enchanted castle. Secret rooms are my favorite. Cruel Beauty was a little too predictable and reminded me a little too much of other paranormal fantasy type books, but I can't exactly explain why.

Don't Tempt Me by Lori Foster (July 2016)
Goodreads


Don't Tempt Me is a solid adult contemporary romance. There are two romances going on in this novel but only one is the main deal, and that one was my favorite. I love neighbor romances, and that is exactly what this is. Honor buys her very first fixer up home and her neighbor is the smoking hot and sweet Jason. They don't get along that well at first, but that changes in the best of ways. I liked their chemistry. Honor was a little frustrating at times, but really all the men in this book stole the show. They made me swoon. The other romance centers around Honor's best friend, and it was so in the background that I am thinking it would have been better as its own book. Don't Tempt Me is a very cute read. This is the first book in a duology. The next book focuses on Jason's brother and another hot neighbor. I can't wait to read it!


Empire of Storms (#5) by Sarah J. Maas (Sept. 6, 2016)
Goodreads


I will always love this series. Empire of Storms is book number five and it still blew me away while the ending crushed me, but there are three reasons I didn't give this book five stars. They are semi-spoilers. Highlight to read. *One, there is no Chaol in this book. WTF!? Two, Maas had paired up every single character into a couple. I didn't hate this, but I a not sure it was necessary. Three, Aelin still keeps secrets from everyone...* Really I did love this book, and I have a feeling the last one is going to be epic. My only advice is to skim over those steamy scenes, they were a little awkward to read. Otherwise, if you are a fan of the Throne of Glass series you will probably be a fan of this book. Aelin, Lysandra, and Manon are as badass as ever. That is really all that matters. I also loved Dorian more than ever before. Just saying.


4 comments:

  1. I've never read Throne of Glass, but I'm getting the itch to finally pick it up. But first, I want to read A Court of Mist and Fury! I own Cruel Beauty, but I don't think I'll be reading it anytime soon. Hopefully I'll like it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must give it a try!! I hope you like Cruel Beauty! Many liked it more than me. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm still waiting for my number to be called at the library for Empire of Storms. I really like the series and can't wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top