Bookish pet peeves, everyone has them and I want to share my craziness with you and in return I hope that you will share yours with me. I always find this topic really funny and interesting to discuss with fellow book nerds.This isn't an extensive list, I narrowed it down to 11 because I'm sure you don't want to hear me complain all day long.
1. People Interrupting Me While I'm Reading
- Sometimes I swear that people see me reading a book and automatically assume I can talk to them and that I'm not busy. This is false. Unless it is really important I don't like to be interrupted while I'm reading. I'm in a whole other world and don't want to come back to reality. To the next person that feels the urge to interrupt me. I dare you. This could very possibly happen.
2. Brand New Books That Have Flaws
- When I go to a bookstore to buy a brand new book they have to be pretty and shiny. I'm one of those people that check to make sure there are no tears in the cover or weird creases on the pages. I love finding that perfect book on the shelf. Book Shimmy!
3. Misleading Synopsis
- There is no reason for this. How dare you mislead me. This drives me insane, unless of course the book turns out to be amazing anyway. Otherwise, just no.
4. Ugly Book Covers
- I'm all about pretty book covers. I hate to say it, but I probably won't pick up a book that has an ugly cover. I feel that if authors want their book taken seriously they need to put some effort into the cover design. Even if I don't particularly like the cover but it is well done then that is fine, I'm just not a fan of the ones that look like a kid made them.
5. Spoilers in Reviews With No Warnings
- Come on, there is no excuse for this. Please just have a warning at the beginning of your post or right before it if the spoilers happen in the middle of your post. This isn't hard to do and it only takes a minute. I don't mind little spoilers that don't matter in the long run, but if you are going to give something big away please just give us readers a heads up. I'd really rather not feel like this...
6. Characters Acting Out of Character
- Really? They just did that? I don't understand! This make no sense. When I'm reading a book the characters come alive and when they do something so crazy with no reasoning behind it I get really confused and kicked back into reality, the same place I am trying to escape by reading. It just throws me off.
7. Food Gunk on Library Books
- I know many many people read the books I get at the library before me, but that doesn't mean they should be gross by the time I get my hands on them. I understand that there will be creases in the pages and what not, but there shouldn't be like food stuck to the pages or weird stains that I can't even tell what they are. I know library books are free and you have to return them, but that doesn't mean you should mistreat them. Let's be nice to the library books.
8. When the Movie is Nothing Like the Book
- I know book to movie adaptations can't be perfect. You can't fit everything from the book into the movie. I know this, but that doesn't mean the movie should be so completely different from the book that it is ridiculous. Cue the Percy Jackson movie. There are so many important things left out of that movie that I was furious when I watched it. It is a good movie if you keep it separate from the books when you watch it, but I was still really disappointed and frustrated.
9. Waiting for the Big Finale and I Get Nothing
- I'm one of those readers that believes that if I stick to a series or trilogy and there is a big battle brewing then I should get a big battle with a lot of action at the end. I believe that since I've waited this long and read countless of pages that I think I should get a big reward. Yes, that does sound selfish and it is, but I can't help how I feel. I know that not every book needs to have an epic end all battle between good and bad, but the ones that build up to that and I get nothing are the ones I hate. The two books that really disappointed me with an ending that left me wanting more, Mockingjay and Breaking Dawn. What a let down. I want the series/trilogy to go out with a bang.
10. Generic and Error Riddled Review Requests
- I am really not a big fan of receiving very very generic and not well thought out review requests. I love reading and reviewing books. I love receiving review requests. I don't love receiving a poorly written not friendly and overly generic review request. Or a review request in a genre that I state in my book review policy that I don't read. Sigh.
11. Not Having an Internet Connection in My Apartment
- I recently dealt with moving and not only did I not have time to check my email or update my blog, goodreads, or twitter or anything else for that matter, but it took a couple of days to get internet at my new apartment once we moved. This wasn't really anyone's fault in the long run but it was still annoying. Therefore when I finally logged back into the internet it looked something like this.
Now that I have spilled my heart out to you by sharing some of my bookish pet peeves I would love to hear what you guys think!
Do you want to read some other great bookish discussion posts? Check out the discussion link up post at The Fiction Conniption!