I met Veronica Roth and embarrassed myself. It was totally worth it!
On Oct. 26 (Now officially Veronica Roth day in Illinois!) I went to the Veronica Roth Allegiant tour in Illinois. It was an epic day.
It all started while waiting outside the theater (after stopping to get Starbucks of course).
Even though we stood outside for about an hour and a half in the semi-cold weather before we were let into the theater it was totally worth it. We got to meet some other awesome fans in line, sign a fan made poster (that she later gave to Veronica) where you signed near the faction symbol you think you would be in (Candor for me, although I wish I was I'm just not brave enough to be Dauntless), and the most important reason it was worth waiting in line... we got great seats, three rows from the stage on the left hand side!
|Right before we got in line outside the theater!|
Left: Amanda Middle: Me! Right: Lyndsey
|By the end of the day it was full of signatures covering the whole page!|
An organist played before Veronica took the stage. Right before the big event started he actually lowered into the ground! This was pretty darn cool and he was pretty darn good. My friends and I sat back and talked with the anticipation building with every second. When she appeared on the stage I'm pretty sure I had a epic fan girl moment, but that was to be expected.
Margot from Epic Reads (and Tea Time of course) was there to interview Veronica. Margot is just as awesome in person as she is on Tea Time. I only got to meet her for a brief minute but she book shimmied with me and I got a picture with her! I love her story of hard core fangirling over Divergent and Insurgent.
Veronica Roth is a lot of fun and so adorable and awkard and just plain awesome.
Highlights of Veronica's Q&A
- She is a Potterhead and fan girls a lot, mega creepy style.
- During a Zombie Apocalypse out of all of the Dauntless she would choose Four to fight on her side. (I know I would.)
- She doesn't want to co-write a book because she thinks it would be crazy hard.
- She wrote Divergent while wearing rubber ducky jamies! :)
- She really does write while walking on her treadmill desk thing.
- She wouldn't share any details about any future projects but said she will probably be sticking to young adult books.
- She tells us what her four fears would be "swarms of centipedes, swarms cockroachs, swarms of spiders, and heights."
- She talked a little about the topic of suicide and the character Al in Divergent.
- If she had to choose a faction she would pick Abnegation. She says it's because she is a champion of the underdog and that selflessness is important. But in the end she claims she would be Factionless so she could be free.
- She admits that there is no question... she would immediately die if she was placed in The Hunger Games.
- Veronica Roth can sing! She sung a very moving song about Tris called The Mark with her brother.
Although I only got about 30 seconds or so of actual face time with Veronica Roth it was a lot of fun! So here is how I embarrassed myself. This is my first big author signing I've been to and so while waiting in line for at least 20 minutes I repeditly practied what I was going to say when it was my turn. I was going to say things about how awesome the books are, how I tell everyone to read them, how I enjoy her writing, how I love four, anything along those lines. So why when I it was my turn this is all I could come up with? For a good laugh see how our conversation went.
|Me smiling hardcore while Veronica signs my copy of Allegiant!|
Me: Hi! (smiling crazy)
Veronica: How are you?
Me: You look really pretty today! (Seriously that is all that came out of my mouth. Nothing close to what I was practicing.)
Veronica: Thank you very much. (At least she smiled at me and was super nice about my total awkwardness.)
Me: Thanks so much. (While I grab the book from her hands and slowly walk away still staring, once again in a very creepy fashion.)