3:59 by: Gretchen McNeil (Sept. 2013)
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Source: The Library
I picked up this book because I enjoyed Gretchen McNeil’s book Ten and because I like parallel universes. Although I didn’t enjoy 3:59 as much as her other book it was still an interesting, creepy, and cute read. To make this review easier to follow I’m going to break down what I did and didn’t like about it.
What I Liked
- The very scary shadowy creatures that should only be in your nightmares that McNeil did an amazing job at describing to make your skin crawl.
- The main character Josie does grow and change throughout the story. Not to mention that all the minor characters are pretty interesting as well.
- The ending may not be the most surprising or the best, but I liked that it was unique.
- A few small tidbits dealing with the parallel universes were very interesting.
- I enjoyed the comic relief since it was a kind of dark story.
What I Didn't Like
- This book seemed a little too high school for me. There was a lot of drama.
- It was a little too easy to predict. There were not any real surprises making me somewhat bored at times.
- It seemed a little repetitive to me, when dealing with the drama, and the science and what not.
Should You Read It?
Sure, why not? The book was still engrossing for the most part despite its small flaws. If you like Gretchen McNeil then you will probably enjoy this book from her as well.