December 18, 2017

Review: Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios

Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios
Length: 368 pages
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Source: The library.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
My Rating:

Goodreads Summary: Grace wants out. Out of her house, where her stepfather wields fear like a weapon and her mother makes her scrub imaginary dirt off the floors. Out of her California town, too small to contain her big city dreams. Out of her life, and into the role of Parisian artist, New York director—anything but scared and alone. Enter Gavin: charming, talented, adored. Controlling. Dangerous. When Grace and Gavin fall in love, Grace is sure it's too good to be true. She has no idea their relationship will become a prison she's unable to escape. Deeply affecting and unflinchingly honest, this is a story about spiraling into darkness—and emerging into the light again.

My Review

Bad Romance in Three Words: Heartbreaking. Scary. Brave.

Bad Romance is a novel I won't soon forget. I think the author handeled the tough subject matter of relationship abuse in a realstic and thought provoking manner. It is an intense read that I would not consider enjoyable, but important and fierce.

Grace has had a crush on Gavin for a long time, but he never paid any attention to her, until he did. Grace and Gavin are a complex pair whose romance starts out strong, and turns rotten. At first glance Gavin is the sweetest boyfriend Grace could ask for, and she clings on to these happy moments while everything else goes up in flames. From what I know, I think Grace and Gavin's relationships truly shows the highs and incredible lows both partners go through in such a "bad romance."

Bad Romance is a well written novel with strong and powerful language and intense characters. The story may have lagged in a few places, but I never lost interest. Although the book focuses on Grace and Gavin's relationship, readers also get to see Grace when she is happy with her friends and when she is trying to break free from her parents.

The Bottom Line: Although incredibly sad and sometimes painful to read, I recommend that you give this one a try. The cover is beautiful in its own way and deserves a spot on your shelf.



5 comments:

  1. I love that this grabbed you and that the characters were so intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really well written. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I put this one on my Christmas list because even knowing it's going to be intense, I think it's going to be an incredibly important read too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very important. I hope you received a copy! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I hate that she finds someone just as dysfunctional and messed up as her family. Bad Romance freaks me out but I kind of want to read it anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top