March 29, 2019

Let's Chat: Bookstagram

My first post on Instagram was on August 11, 2016. I had more time back then so I was posting pretty often. When I started my full-time job and was still in grad school I barely posted at all. Now, as I am getting used to the full-time gig and since I no longer have grad school to worry about, I am trying to post a few times every week. I am working on getting more followers, but the algorithm is against us all. I know my photos aren't the best, but they aren't bad either. I know the algorithm is crap because so many people that I do follow I never see their new posts... it is so frustrating! With that being said, let's talk about some ways I have and haven't tried to get more followers, and if they worked.

Does all the Instagram advice you see out there actually work to get more followers? Here is what I have and haven't done, and the result.

  • THEMES: Although I don't necessarily have a theme, which I know is supposed to get you more followers, I usually keep my posts more minimalist with only three different types of set ups. So I guess, this advice could work if you actually follow it, but I do not. I am not sure I will ever decide on just one theme for my account.
  • CHALLENGES: I have also been told that joining monthly challenges will help, and maybe it does a little, but I have yet to see a big increase in followers that way either. However, I will keep joining in and following the hashtag for the month because they are a lot of fun, and I find new accounts to follow that way. A few accounts that host challenges you should check out: @thereaderbee, @loriimagination, @wildbookbabe, @fictionaladventures, @book_junkee, @bookchelle
  • COMMENTING: I enjoy commenting on other people's posts, especially if I love the photo or book or enjoy the topic they are discussing. Maybe a couple of people have followed me back after commenting, but no big increase there either.
  • HASHTAGS: I mainly use #bookstagram, #bookphotography, #yalit, #bibliophile, #booknerd, and #bookstagrammer. I use other ones depending on special events such as #stacksaturday or #shelfiesunday.  I have no idea if this helps others find my posts, but I do like to check out the hashtags from time to time to find new accounts to follow.

Do you have any additional advice for me? Will you share your secrets? If you have a bookstagram that I should be following please comment bellow! I am always looking for new accounts to follow. I love seeing all the pretty photos of books, and love finding new books that were not on my radar before. I currently have 323 followers, but I hope to hit 500 by the end of the year. Fingers crossed! If you would like to follow me you can find me here: @itisabooklife

My Most Recent Photos


8 comments:

  1. Bookstagram is really hard! The algorithm really sucks and I think it's gotten even worse recently. I have a good following but it's depressing seeing that number going down instead of up when I've worked really hard to post nice pictures and engage with other book lovers. My best advice is to keep discovering other bookstagram accounts and ti keep doing what you're doing but make sure you enjoy it. My favourite accounts are minimalists :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen! I already follow you and didn't even realize it because of the stupid algorithm! Gah! Thanks for the advice. :D

      Delete
  2. This is something I struggle with as well. I started my account a few months ago but still have less than 200 followers. I can't even fathom how there are some bookstagram accounts out there with 10s of thousands of followers. Aside from followers who already knew me when I first created my account, the main time I seem to see an increase in followers is when I post regularly which I unfortunately rarely do because I don't have the time. I also blame the algorithm because I constantly have to stalk my friends' profiles to find their latest posts because they rarely show up in my feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am following you now. I love your photos! :D It is so frustrating that I am missing so many awesome photos because of the algorithm.

      Delete
  3. I started my bookstagram account in April 2014 and was really into it for a short while but it gets hard to keep up with in addition to blogging. I've always wanted to get back into it but I'm always busy. Good luck with hitting 500!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to keep up with everything and work full-time and still have a life! haha Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I don't have a bookstagram account seeing as I don't have a good camera or ideas of backgrounds and layouts. Maybe see what the top bookstagrammers are doing on their posts as well as their tags. That might help (: Also, I'm sure there is a book that could help you with design or photography if you feel you struggle with those areas.
    The pic with the cookies is the best <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adriana! I always appreciate your thoughtful comments. I will give them a try. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top