May 19, 2014

Review: Fire & Flood by: Victoria Scott

Fire & Flood (#1) by: Victoria Scott (Feb. 2014)
305 Pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopian
Source: The Library
Goodreads Summary: Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?

Victoria Scott's breathtaking novel grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go.



My Review


Fire & Flood may not have been the best dystopian I have ever read, but it was shocking, entertaining, and had the cutest most adorable awesome character ever to grace the pages of a young adult novel.

The Great

The Minor Characters – Guy was mysterious, I really liked that quality in him, not to mention that if I was participating in this race I sure as heck would want Guy on my side. The other people in Tella’s group were interesting and easy to like as well. Plus, it was a blast seeing everyone’s Pandoras in action.

Madox – I want Madox. I LOVE Madox. Madox is Tella’s beyond adorable Pandora, an animal created just for her to help her survive the race. Madox really did steal the show. If you are an animal lover you will enjoy this part of the book beyond all reason. Side note: Nicole and I WILL find a way to get Madox to be ours. We will. (Sorry, not sorry, everyone else who wants him.)

The Surprises – There were a few instances in Fire & Flood that completely surprised me. I actually didn't see them coming, and since that is rare I was more than excited. I give Victoria Scott mad props for that. To put it simply Fire & Flood had some crazy parts in it that I simply loved. It is a great well written adventure with some beyond shocking moments.

The Not So Great

Something Was Missing or It Was Too Similar – I can’t exactly put my finger on it, but Fire & Flood just doesn't earn 5 stars from me. It may be because this is another dystopian novel that wasn’t quite unique enough. 

The Main Character, Tella – She may be a little dumb and slightly annoying at times, but she also did seem realistic, and more unique because of her girlishness. Tella did grow on me and was pretty darn funny. However, if I hadn’t been warned about her annoying qualities in advance I probably would have liked this book a lot less. Therefore, if you haven’t been warned yet now you have. Go in knowing Tella is a little dumb and kind of vain (she always seems to care about her looks even when she shouldn’t be) and you should enjoy the book a great deal.


The Bottom Line

I want the next novel as soon as possible, please and thank you! In regards to my wonderful readers... you should take a chance on Fire and Flood. If you are sick of young adult dystopians I would understand if you skip this, but seriously, read it just for Madox and you won’t be disappointed.



10 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said but that's not surprising :) Shocking, entertaining, and most adorable Pandora ever - YES. But not quite a 5 star read and Tella needs to learn how to pack a survival bag - but she was hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you wouldn't have given me a heads up about Tella I honestly don't think I would have liked her as much as I did. lol

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed Fire & Flood as much as I did, Kay. I absolutley adored Madox and the other Pandoras. As far as Tella, I'm glad I went into it also knowing that she's a bit of a fluff-bunny (at first) but so grows on you. Guy...mysterious and swoon-worthy, yes? Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that we pretty much felt the same away about this book! I can't wait for more Madox in the next one!

      Delete
  3. I'm such a sucker for animal sidekicks, adding this to my TBR list :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've totally convinced me to read this! I'm really excited to read about the Pandoras!! They make me this of Bernie Kosar from I Am Number Four... loved him. I also like when a book totally blind sides me because so many books are too predictable. Awesome review =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :D

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the honest review, glad I know what to expect from Tessa going in. I can totally tell that I am going to want to steal Madox from you. He sounds like a version of a His Dark Materials style daemon, which I would kill for ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will totally want to steal Madox!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top