April 6, 2015

Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen (#1) by Victoria Aveyard (Feb. 2015)
383 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy/Not Sure Exactly
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: I got a free copy from ALA Midwinter! Thanks Harper! This didn't affect my honest review.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: Graceling meets The Selection in debut novelist Victoria Aveyard's sweeping tale of seventeen-year-old Mare, a common girl whose once-latent magical power draws her into the dangerous intrigue of the king's palace. Will her power save her or condemn her?

Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood--those with common, Red blood serve the Silver- blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities. Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. Before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own.

To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard--a growing Red rebellion--even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction. One wrong move can lead to her death, but in the dangerous game she plays, the only certainty is betrayal.

My Review

I should start this review off by saying that Red Queen lived up to its hype, at least to me. After the first page I asked myself (or more accurately I was talking to the book in question) Will you be epic? I can say that yes, for me, Red Queen was epic. I devoured it. I loved it. I would read it all over again in a heartbeat if I had more time to do so. I enjoyed the writing. It was exciting and thrilling. It was what I hoped it would be. So what is the best way for me to share my love for this power filled X-Menesque book? Share with you my goodreads updates while reading of course.


The Bottom Line: Even when the main character Mare drove me a little crazy (to an extent I understand why she is so judgmental but I also think sometimes she was a little over the top about it), I still loved this book. Red Queen is for readers who love powers, action, never being bored, and not knowing who is a friend and who is foe. It is pretty much a book for anyone and everyone. You should read it if you have yet to do so. Just my opinion. Just look at that cover.


12 comments:

  1. Currently reading this! :) I sure hope I enjoy it as much as you did. I have high expectations from Red Queen! :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it too! It isn't exactly what I thought it was going to be, but it was really really good just the same. :D

      Delete
  2. Woot so glad to hear it lives up to it's hype! I've been really hesitant on whether I should pick it up and your review has definitely bumped it up my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I am so glad it lived up to the hype since that doesn't always happen.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one. I've read so many mixed reviews on it. I love the added use of your GR progress in the review. Definitely gives me a sense of what was going on in your head as you were reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a lot of mixed reviews on this one which made me a little hesitant to read it at first, but I am glad I gave it a go. I am glad you liked the GR progress, that makes me smile. I had fun doing my GR updates while reading, I don't always do it but when I do I like to share them in my reviews.

      Delete
  4. It didn't quite live up to the hype for me, but I DID love the super powers aspect of it! (I thought the battle scenes were really well done, and I won't lie, I LOVED Cal).

    -Cristina @ Girl in the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SUPER LOVED Cal. lol I want more time with him and those super powers were so cool! I want some super powers.

      Delete
  5. i so need to read this book. I love your review. So little words but says so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES YES YES. So glad you thought this was epic too! Can't wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need more Cal in my life... and super powers... and everything. lol This book was a wonderful roller coaster ride. I think the next one is going to be even better!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top