August 4, 2014

Mini Reviews of Adult Books: Stay, Married With Zombies, & The 100-Year-Old Man

Stay by: Allie Larkin (2010)
308 pages
Genre: Adult/Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Dutton Adult
Source: The Library
Purchase: Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
Mini Summary: Van is in love with Peter, a friend she has had since college, who also just so happens to be marring her best friend Janie. Heartbroken and alone after the wedding while intoxicated Van decides to buy a puppy off the Internet. When she realizes the next day what she has done her life becomes a little more tricky and a little less lonely, especially when she meets her dog's vet. Stay is a book about friendship, love, and true loyalty.

My Mini Review: Stay starts off a little depressing, the main character Van is having a tough time dealing with her best friend marrying the man she loves. Although it was a little hard to read all of her wallowing in self pity at first she did grow on me, especially once she buys her new dog. I loved watching Van figure out how to take care of what she thought would be a small puppy who in all reality turns out to be a pretty big puppy. Once the dog makes his appearance the novel really picks up. It's cute, funny, and has a sweet romance. Van grows as a person and this novel turned out to be better than I expected. Read this one. There is an adorable dog in it that steals the show.




Married With Zombies (#1) by: Jesse Petersen (2010)
244 pages
Genre: Adult/Humor/Horror
Publisher: Orbit
Source: The Library
Purchase: Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
Mini Summary: Sarah and David go to couple's counseling in the hope of avoiding divorce. Little did they know that there would be a zombie outbreak on their way to counseling one day. Now they have to fight and argue their way to survival. Will the zombie apocalypse bring them closer or further apart?

My Mini Review: Married With Zombies is a pretty funny novel, including its chapter titles. This zombie book is a good choice for those who like funny zombie novels. The killing scenes are hilarious,and their couple disagreements provide a few laughs as well. I wouldn't call Married With Zombies overly originally, but it is original enough. I like the characters, and even among all of their fighting there are a few awww moments, the couple seems pretty realistic. I'm not sure I will read the next book, but I enjoyed this one.



The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by: Jonas Jonasson (2012)
396 pages
Genre: Adult/Fiction
Publisher: Hesperus Press
Purchase: Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
Mini Summary: Today is Allan Karlsson's 100th birthday and he decides he doesn't want to sit around the nursing home for the rest of his life. So Allan decides to climb out the window and make some new crazy memories. With flashbacks from his adventures when he was younger to his adventures now The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared is a comical novel filled with brilliant writing.

My Mini Review: The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared isn't like any other book I have ever read, in a good way. Allan is a lovable old man who has lived one heck of a life. I loved reading about this adventures, which turned out be an adventure itself. Allan is a memorable character and so are all of his minor character acquaintances, every single person is full of character. I love how the reader discovers the footprint Allan has left in the past through his adventures as a younger man. This book is a good choice for history lovers, whoever likes a good laugh, or who just wants a unique read.

15 comments:

  1. 100 Year Old Man looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very interesting! I'm thinking it would be a book you would like Christine!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed Married with Zombies! And The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared has been one of my favorite books of 2014 :) Great mini-reviews today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Married with Zombies was pretty darn funny! The 100-Year-Old-Man was just so well written and full of adventure. I'm glad you read it and loved it too!

      Delete
  3. I got to say that "The 100 year old man..." and "Married with zombies" did picked up my attention, especially the 1st one. I need to add them to my TBR list.
    Short but great reviews Kay! :)

    Jo @ A Bookworm Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally support you adding them to your TBR. :)

      Delete
  4. These are all so different - but, the Married with Zombies sounds so fun! Glad you enjoyed each of these, Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, which would I like the most, you think? I'm attracted to the dog book but I might not have as much patience for the beginning as you did. Maybe the book with the longest title I have ever seen (aka The 100 Year Old Man)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking....I'm thinking...maybe the longest title ever book! It was pretty freaking unique, funny, and interesting. And yes, that title is ridiculously long, and I love it.

      Delete
  6. Great reviews! The 100 year old man does look like an intriguing read, my sister read it and absolutely loved it. I definitely want to try that one myself. Great reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one! You should definitely try it.

      Delete
  7. gods above and below, these all sound interesting. I love your mini reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I read adult here and there and I got lucky with so many good ones.

      Delete
  8. Married With Zombies was such a fun read for me! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top