August 28, 2014

Review: We Were Liars by: E. Lockhart

We Were Liars by: E. Lockhart (May 2014)
227 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Mystery/Thriller
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: The Library
Goodreads Summary: A beautiful and distinguished family.

A private island.

A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.

A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.

A revolution. An accident. A secret.

Lies upon lies.

True love.

The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

My Review

I am sure you are aware of all of the hype surrounding We Were Liars. Many have said that it is THE book to read this summer. With that in mind I was hesitant about reading it. No one wants to be let down by all the hype surrounding a novel. Not only was the book blowing up all over the blogosphere, it become a hot topic at my library as well. After all that I finally decided to take the plunge. AND….


We Were Liars has everything I love in a book. An unreliable narrator, check. Crazy family drama, check. Beautiful writing, check. A shocking reveal I didn’t see coming, check. Nicely done E. Lockhart.

I enjoyed reading We Were Liars from beginning to end. The characters are intense. The writing is wonderfully dark. From the first page I knew that I wanted NEEDED to find out the truth and I had a feeling I wouldn’t be getting it from any of the liars. This novel will make you think. When you think the big reveal isn’t shocking, keep reading, you know nothing. I loved following the little pieces and trying to see everything coming together right along with the main character. While reading I felt:

Have you read We Were Liars yet? Have you? Read it. If anything else discover for yourself if you think the book lives up to the hype or not. I think it does. I know some people had a hard time liking the main characters and didn’t enjoy the book as much as I did, so I can’t say for sure if you will like We Were Liars, but I still suggest you give it a shot. If neither I nor the hype can convince you to read this book, re-read that summary.


14 comments:

  1. So glad this one lived up to the hype for you! I really need to pick it up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I'm thinking you would like this one a lot!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you liked this one! You liked it a little more than I did. The characters and setting didn't do much for me but the twist knocked my socks off. Oh and in case you missed it - I finished The Disreputable History... and really liked it! Thanks for the rec ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked The Disreputable History, I had a feeling you would. I actually read that one for a class in college! So much fun.

      Delete
  3. Oh i'm so happy this one just worked for you and that it was exactly what you were looking for! It's always great when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Usually I'm good at deciding what books to read, but not always this good. :)

      Delete
  4. I thought this one was good. Glad you enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wahoo! I have this, now I just need to find time in my crazy schedule to read it. Between the wedding and must read books and my new addiction to audio I am way to bogged down. I shall read it before the New Year tolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how busy you are! I feel like reading it by the end of the year is a great goal. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  6. I love E. Lockhart books! Great review - I'm definitely reading this next. :)

    peachprint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it lives up to the hype for you as well! I loved Lockhart's The Disreputable History... book!

      Delete
  7. I read and LOVED this! It was amazing and lived up to the hype 110%. It's such a hard one to review though, you don't want to give anything away. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a little tricky to review! Whenever I have a book like this one I try to keep it vague. :) I'm glad We Were Liars lived up to the hype for you too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top