Genre: Young Adult/Supernatural
Source: The Library
Goodreads Summary: Earth, Fire, Air, Water – they have more power than you dream.
Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys—all the ones she doesn't want. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water—just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.
And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.
Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all.
The storm is coming . . .
I enjoyed Storm more than I ever thought I would. I feel like I haven’t read a young adult supernatural novel in while that I really truly enjoyed, until now.
What I Liked
- It’s quirky and made me laugh.
- I loved how it was written. We get to know what is going on from Becca and Chris’ perspectives. I liked both and you really get the whole story.
- The characters are likable. Storm gets a lot of points for not having the main male character be a complete jerk. Although some of his brothers were, but that’s fine. I also greatly enjoyed Becca’s snark.
- Real life teenage issues are discussed, such as bullying. I always feel like it’s hard for supernatural books to also seem real. Although Storm did stretch the imagination a little too far at times, it did a nice job at showcasing real life problems, not just supernatural ones.
- The action scenes were awesome. Fists were always flying or the weather was going crazy almost all the time.
- Supernatural powers where people control the elements... Yup. I like it.
What I Didn’t Like
- There weren't any big or small shocking reveals. Everything was pretty predictable to me.
- The bullying could have been handled a little better. There really was no resolution to the issue.
- There is a love triangle, but surprisingly I didn’t hate it, I just wasn't a big fan.
Bottom Line: Even if I’m not sure I fully understand why I liked this book as much as I did I would still tell you to give it a try. I will be reading the second book as soon as I get it from the library.