November 12, 2015

Review: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows (#1) by Leigh Bardugo (Sept. 2015)
465 pages
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Publisher: Henry Holt & Complany
Source: The library.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.

My Review

You don't have to read Leigh Bardugo's The Grisha Trilogy to enjoy her wonderful spin-off novel, Six of Crows. Six of Crows is said to take place two years after Ruin and Rising in a whole different country, but is still set in the Grisha world. I want to emphasize that you don't have to read the other series to read this one. However, if you have read the other series you will enjoy all the little Easter eggs nestled into this book for the fans.

For everyone that claims Six of Crows is like a grittier Ocean's 11, they are absolutely correct in the most wonderful way. I honestly don't even know where to begin singing my praises of this wonderful novel. Let's just start with the characters.

We get not one, not two, but six wonderfully complex, slightly crazy, damaged, always interesting, and certainly unique main characters. Although the leader of the crew, Kaz, is definitely my favorite. He rose up to become the best of the best in the shady world of Ketterdam. I couldn't help but fall a little in love with this heart-breaking criminal. Even though he is my favorite, all six of these daring characters stole my heart. This was one of those times when I cheered on the criminals (although they are more complex than that label) and hoped they would get away.

Six of Crows was thrilling. I was never bored. I was always captivated. It was full of action, and wonderful, lovely, and sometimes horrendous surprises. I couldn't have asked for anything more. The writing was perfect with an even mix of dark, grit, laughter, smiles, and fun. I would love to join Kaz's team, and I will be for book two.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely review! I love that there is such a variety of characters. That definitely draws me in. Plus the world! I haven't read anything by this author, but I might have to pick this one up as soon as I can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world and characters were memorable! You should give it a try. :D

      Delete
  2. Ooh! I've been so curious about Six of Crows and it sounds so amazing! I love rooting for characters I otherwise wouldn't i.e. the villains. I'm hesitant though because I started reading the second Grisha book and found myself unbelievably bored. It's a real toss up whether I start this book, but I'm happy you were so thrilled with it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book may be a tiny bit slow at first, but it's mostly crazy good! I look forward to seeing what you think of it if you decide to give it a whirl.

      Delete
  3. I have been so skeptical of this because I didn't like the last 2 books in the Grisha series. I might give his a try. I have heard nothing but good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you like books or movies with heists in them? If so then you should definitely give it a try.

      Delete
  4. I am curious about this one...not sure if I am curious enough to read it while only book 1 is out, but we shall see! I keep seeing it on the best-seller sale rack at my local bookstore...my willpower may not hold out...lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top