March 5, 2015

A Straight to the Point Review: Mosquitoland by David Arnold

Mosquitoland by David Arnold (March 3, 2015)
352 pages
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Source:I snagged a free ARC copy at ALA Midwinter 2015. This didn't affect my honest review.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
My Rating:
Goodreads Synopsis: "I am a collection of oddities, a circus of neurons and electrons: my heart is the ringmaster, my soul is the trapeze artist, and the world is my audience. It sounds strange because it is, and it is, because I am strange."

After the sudden collapse of her family, Mim Malone is dragged from her home in northern Ohio to the "wastelands" of Mississippi, where she lives in a medicated milieu with her dad and new stepmom. Before the dust has a chance to settle, she learns her mother is sick back in Cleveland.

So she ditches her new life and hops aboard a northbound Greyhound bus to her real home and her real mother, meeting a quirky cast of fellow travelers along the way. But when her thousand-mile journey takes a few turns she could never see coming, Mim must confront her own demons, redefining her notions of love, loyalty, and what it means to be sane.

Told in an unforgettable, kaleidoscopic voice, "Mosquitoland" is a modern American odyssey, as hilarious as it is heartbreaking.

MY REVIEW

Mosquitoland is like nothing I've read before. You simply must read it.

Here is why...

Mim is one of the most unique and memorable characters I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I love her. She along with the people she meets on her journey are each in their own way rich, lively, real, strong, and memorable.

The writing in Mosquitoland is one of a kind. It. Is. Beautiful.

Mim goes on one hell of a journey that you need to witness. It's full of surprises, good and bad.

Mosquitoland is more than just a book. Read it and you will see what I am talking about. I can't even put it into words.

The Bottom Line: Mosquitoland is perfection. It is a MUST read.

5 comments:

  1. This title probably never would have caught my eye on its own, but I'm now definitely intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't catch mine at first either, not even the synopsis, but I read it and LOVED it. I think it would be one that you may like Christine!

      Delete
  2. AHHH HOW DID I MISS THAT YOU WERE READING THIS? Or does my memory suck? Either way I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU LOVED IT AS MUCH AS I DID. THIS BOOK IS PERFECTION!!! MIM!!!! And what did you think about the open-endednes of the ending? I thought it was fitting but I wouldn't have minded an epilogue either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all sneaky about it. ;) Really maybe because I read it so quickly. I am so very glad you loved it first because that got me to read it! I wasn't sold just from the synopsis (although I do love the cover). It turned out to be fantastic! I would have liked an epilogue, but the ending how it was seemed to just work. This would be a book I would read again. I just loved Mim.

      Delete
  3. ok you're lack of a three paragraph alone indicates how much words cannot describe your love for this book, therefore, I am sold. Added to my TBR immediately.

    Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top