March 9, 2015

Review: Undead with Benefits by Jeff Hart

Undead with Benefits (#2) by Jeff Hart (Aug. 2014)
416 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Zombie/Comedy/Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: I bought it.
Purchase: Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
My Rating:  
Goodreads Summary: The living dead are living it up in this hilarious and surprisingly romantic sequel to Eat, Brains, Love, which Kirkus Reviews called “one hell of a road trip...funny, gross, and scary in equal, alternating measures."


Jake and Amanda are in love, on the run—and undead. They've teamed up with Cass, who’s ditched her former job as shady government psychic zombie-tracker, and they're headed across the border into Iowa, where there’s rumored to be a zombie cure.

Armed with a trunk full of guinea pigs (aka zombie snacks), they're ready to take on the Midwest’s first undead warlord, the psycho psychic out for their blood, and their own super awkward love triangle. But the virus is spreading faster than you can say "zombie apocalypse," and Jake, Amanda, and Cass have to find the cure—if it even exists—before the whole state of Iowa goes up in flames.

With its heartwarming blend of guts, romance, and spot-on teen humor, this road trip–ready paperback original is perfect for fans of Isaac Marion's Warm Bodies and AMC’s The Walking Dead. Readers will devour Jeff Hart's fresh, funny, and irreverent take on love and life (well, unlife) in an eat-or-be-eaten world.

My Review

It has gore. It has hilarious moments. It has brains.

Undead with Benefits is a humorous teenage story about love and friendship in a world slowly filling with zombies. This is the sequel to Eat Brains Love. Although I enjoyed the first book better, this one still packed a punch.

The reader gets to see inside the head of the hormone filled Jake, also a zombie, and Cass, the girl who you can’t help but like, also someone with psychic type powers. Jake’s girlfriend, the snotty Amanda, also a zombie, is part of the three person crew on a road trip to Iowa, where they hope to find the zombie cure.

The book starts out a little slow considering who is in the weird trio of travelers. Not a lot starts to happen until you get about 70 pages in. At that point the plot really starts to move forward and at this time I finally felt like Undead with Benefits had a better chance of living up to its predecessor. I was relieved to finally be completely engrossed in the story. What I thought was going to be kind of a lame teenage book (which is saying something since it stars zombies and psychics) turned into a very cool and funny novel. I liked the amount of blood and guts there was mixed in with the funny one-liners. It’s always interesting when zombies try to live off of eating just genuine pigs. Later in the story when it picked up we also get to meet new characters and get a new setting, which made everything that much more entertaining and interesting.

Undead with Benefits is a good book, but the first book in the series, Eat Brains Love, was a great book. I still say you should give this series a try, especially if you like a good laugh given to you by some teenage zombies. I'm not sure if there is going to be a third book, but if there is that would be nice, if there isn't, the ending wasn't really all that bad.

Check out my review of the first book! My Four Star Review of Eat, Brains, Love


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun book. I will have to add Eat, Brains, Love to my GR TBR list.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! It was a blast reading it. Kind of crazy but in a good way. lol

      Delete
  2. I have Eat, Brains, Love on my wishlist and while this wasn't quite as good it still sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it is still worth reading.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this series yet. I think I need to though. It sounds fun and humourous and gory. all the things I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got the gore and the laughs. I think you would probably like it. :)

      Delete
  4. Ha! "It has gore. It has hilarious moments. It has brains." Love that! This sounds fun and a little gory - which I like. My daughter likes Zombies as long as they're not TOO scary. Would you say this series is anything like the book/movie Warm Bodies?
    Great review, Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little bit like Warm Bodies! It has that vibe and some similarities. Fans of warm bodies would probably like this one. I don't think it is too scary because of how funny it is. :)

      Delete
  5. I still need to read Eat, Brains, Love. I haven't had much luck with zombie books but I think zombies + humor will equal a happy reader. Hopefully if I do get into the series I'll like the second book just as much as the first. It didn't sound like it wowed you which sucks but at least you enjoyed some parts of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still liked the second book a good deal, but the first one was just new and fresh and for whatever reason I loved it more. I hope you give Eat, Brains, Love a chance. I feel like it hasn't gotten too much attention.

      Delete
  6. Hmm the fact that you didn't LOVE this sequel has me a little hesitant to read Eat Brains Love because it's WAY out of my comfort zone. I might have to wait and see if there is a third book and if it is more on par with the first book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I know these type of books wouldn't really be your thing to begin with AND this book wasn't as good as the first... I agree with you and think that maybe you should hold off.

      Delete
  7. Hi my name is Linda, I live in England! My mum has dementia and Alzheimer's, me and my 4 sisters care for my mum. We were managing until these awful vigorous shakings seem to have took over her body, so much so she can't even hold a cup wen its at its worst and sleep is out of the question which leads to utter exhaustion! We have bin told now that medication she was on for her restless legs which was something totally different was making the shaking worse. But yet the shaking is part of the dementia. We are now at the end of are tether and was wondering When the medication no longer helps, i searched for alternative treatment and i was introduced to Health herbal clinic in india who have successful herbal treatment to Alzheimer's disease. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in United States and they all gave a positive response, so i immediately purchased the alzheimer's disease herbal remedy for my mother and she commenced usage, she used the herbal supplement for only 2 weeks, all symptoms gradually faded away, . contact this herbal clinic via their email osagieherbalist@yahoo.com . OR CALL HIM OR WHATSAPP @ +2349061399224 herbs are truly gift from God
    and he is also capable of curing any type of sickness.
    CANCER ....
    HIV.....
    ALS...
    HERPES.... ETC

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer in 2016 there's a herbal foundation in Johannesburg they cured my husband  Alzheimer's disease . Pm me i will give their details. People can search about them on Google or youtube(total cure herbal foundation). My husband faced many difficulties and was in several depression, Trouble understanding visual image, aggression ,so many,. This thing happened to him in very crucial stage of our life. PM if someone needs info or buy direct from them totalcureherbsfoundation.com they cured 100% of Alzheimer with their herbal formula .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top