March 30, 2015

Review: Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover (March 2014)
367 pages
Genre: New Adult/Romance
Publisher: Atria
Source: The Library.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: At twenty-two years old, Sydney is enjoying a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers that Hunter is cheating on her—and she’s forced to decide what her next move should be.

Soon, Sydney finds herself captivated by her mysterious and attractive neighbor, Ridge. She can't take her eyes off him or stop listening to the passionate way he plays his guitar every evening out on his balcony. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either. They soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one.

A passionate tale of friendship, betrayal, and romance, Maybe Someday will immerse readers in Sydney’s tumultuous world from the very first page.

MY REVIEW

I did it! I read my very first Colleen Hoover book. I feel like I am the last person on earth to read a book by her. Since I am sure you are all just dying to her what I thought I will give it to you straight. I loved it.

When my friend at work forced this book on me I was nervous to read it. I was worried that this book was going to be another romance novel where everyone has baggage, is childish, there is a bad boy, and they never talk out their feelings. It turns out that this book didn't really have any of those things, at least not to their extremes. It was different. Maybe Someday is a book that I won't soon forget. 

Did I love the characters? You bet. I wish Sydney and Ridge were real so they could be my friends too. No joke. Their dynamic and attraction were wonderfully written. The sexual tension was glorious. Sydney is a cool girl who ended up with a crappy guy, but that led her to Ridge. I don't want to talk all that much about their friendship because I don't want to ruin any of the tiny surprises and plot points. Let's just say I love all the characters in this book, and I mean ALL.

Did I love the writing? I sure did. I laughed. I got teary eyed. I felt a wide range of emotions while reading Maybe Someday. After a handful of pages in I became addicted to the story and Hoover's writing. There was just something about it that drew me in. The story was unique and real. It was painful and playful. I felt raw. It was marvelous even if it was a little drawn out in the middle when the story seemed to stall just for a few beats.

Should you read Maybe Someday? Yes. Will I read more books by this author? Definitely. When I picked up this book I was in the mood for a love story, one that would make me laugh and was a little emotional but not overly depressing. I got what I was looking for.

8 comments:

  1. Great review. I think I've read something by this author but I'm not 100% sure. I know when I see her books they always sound good but I just don't know if I've ever read one yet. I really need to read one. :) Glad to hear you enjoyed this so much. It's great when a book can bring out so many emotions in the reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a lot of books out! I am almost nervous to read more since I did like this one so much. I hope you give one of her books a try and you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Oh no - now I'm the last person not to have read the author! Lol. I'm so glad you enjoyed this story so much Kay. I need to try her myself. "Painful and playful" I love it when the author can give you all those feels. Tears and smiles. Making sure this is on my list.
    Great review, Kay!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you are now the last person. ;) I was so nervous to read this book and it really did blow me away. I am nervous and excited to read more books by her.

      Delete
  3. Great review. You are not the last person on earth to read Hoover, I haven't read a book by her yet, but I might start with this one. And you had me at her falling for her neighbor. I really am curious about this one. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love books where people fall for their neighbor? I do for whatever reason. I hope you give it a shot and enjoy it! I'm also kind of glad to hear I wasn't the only one who never read anything by Hoover.

      Delete
  4. This is the next Colleen Hoover book I really want to read other than the Never Never sequel.
    I'm STOKED you loved Maybe, Someday because it confirms that I need to read it already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm after my experience with Hopeless I approach both the NA genre and this author's work with caution. But it sounds like this one doesn't suffer from the same things I had problems with when reading Hopeless. I might just have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top