June 2, 2015

ARC Release Day Review: Sweet by Emmy Laybourne

Sweet (#1) by Emmy Laybourne (June 2, 2015)
288 pages
Genre: YA/It's a surprise.
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: I snagged a free ARC at ALA Midwinter. This didn't affect my honest review. Thanks Feiwel & Friends!
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: Emmy Laybourne, author of the Monument 14 trilogy, takes readers on a dream vacation that goes first comically, then tragically, then horrifyingly wrong!

The luxurious celebrity cruise launching the trendy new diet sweetener Solu should be the vacation of a lifetime. But Laurel is starting to regret accepting her friend Viv’s invitation. She's already completely embarrassed herself in front of celebrity host Tom Forelli—the hottest guy ever!—and she's too sick to even try the sweetener. And that's before Viv and all the other passengers start acting really strange.

Tom knows that he should be grateful for this job and the chance to shed his former-child-star image. His publicists have even set up a 'romance' with a sexy reality star. But as things on the ship start to get wild, he finds himself drawn to a different girl. And when the hosting gig turns into an expose on the shocking side effects of Solu, it's Laurel that he's determined to save.

My Review

Right After I Finished Reading: I seriously can't believe what I just read. What did I just read? Seriously. How do I even begin to rate this book? Ahhhhh!!!!

My dear friends, obviously this review is going to be a little crazy. I both liked and disliked Sweet a great deal. It was brilliant and a little dumb and frustrating all at the same time. Let's start from the beginning.

When I first started reading Sweet I was intrigued. I thought the author did a nice job at tackling body image issues in a unique way. Then the book also starts touching on issues that celebrities face. Okay, that is cool. The next big issue talking point? Big corporations doing what they want. Anyway, I didn't mind all of this because it was central to the story, but at times I also felt like it was a lot of messages thrown at us all at once. It was all just a little bit too in your face at times. It wasn't a big deal though so let's move on.

I liked the characters a lot. It was an interesting bunch of famous people and non-famous people on the cruise of a lifetime, and the ones I got to know were pretty sweet. The only problem I had with the characters was the lack of character development. I understand that with the book taking place on a cruise that there is a limited amount of time for character development, but I was still sad that it was lacking. I still liked the characters though (even if slightly stereotypical), especially Tom (the hot celebrity) and Laurel (the average girl that isn't average at all), our dual POV narrators. 

What about the plot and setting of Sweet? For the most part it was spot on. I loved the cruise setting, and I loved the exciting plot, even if it was a little unbelievable. I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. I just had to know what was really happening on that ship! From the slow build to the crazy ending, I was hooked.

The Bottom Line: Do I recommend this book to others? You bet. BUT I will say that it is a pretty unique book so not everyone is going to like it, and I'm not even sure I can predict in advance who will or won't like it. I liked Sweet. It was a horrifyingly awesome page-turner for me. My biggest complaint... THAT ENDING!!! I had to rush online just to make sure there was a sequel. Thankfully there is.

18 comments:

  1. Hmm... I feel like the summary sounds childish. It kind of turned me off to the story, however I like the messages it discusses in Sweet. I just don't want to feel in my face too much as well. I don't know if I'll like the characters either so this might not be for me. I hope you enjoy the sequel when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book could be childish at times. The crazy cliffhanger ending has me anxiously waiting for the sequel so it better be good. haha

      Delete
  2. Ohh noo, a little dumb... but great I might struggle with that. I had tons of issues with the Boyfriend App which immediately came up when I read that line. But I do like a unique book! I shall keep it on my radar :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly. It was a little dumb but still good. It was so hard to rate this book!

      Delete
  3. The premise sounds interesting! I might have to give this a try! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do I would love to see what you think. I had a hard time rating this one and it has been getting scattered reviews.

      Delete
  4. I've always wanted to read this when I first saw it online. I mean, the COVER IS GORGEOUS <3 I like how it tackles image issues and other issues celebrities face. That sounds very interesting :) Thanks for the lovely review! I still want to read this one and see it for myself if I'll like it!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is pretty awesome! I can't wait to see what you think when you read it. It has been getting mixed reviews and it was hard for me to even tell exactly how I felt about it. lol

      Delete
  5. This book sounds pretty intriguing to me and I have seen it around quite a bit and wondered what all the fuss was about. It seems like one that is a great read and yet it still has some flaws. I am not sure how I feel about starting this one yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always just put it on the back burner until the mood hits to read it! :)

      Delete
  6. I am glad to hear you liked this book. I am hoping to read it soon. love that it is a unique read and I think that would very much appeal to me. the throwing issues in your face kind of like a political lecture. Not so sure about that. I usually have issues with that, but I hope I can get past it with this book because it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unique, but it had its flaws as well. I struggled with rating this one. It came down to the simple fact that I found it entertaining and will be reading the next one. :) I look forward to reading your review!

      Delete
  7. Ummm..... something tells me I'm not going to be in the group that doesn't like this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was so hard for me to decide if I liked it or not. So.... probably not the best sign.

      Delete
  8. thanks a lot for the information,,hopefully useful for many people

    teh herbal pelangsing pro slim tea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a sequel out now, or is she writing it? Is there going to be a sequel at all?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top