June 15, 2015

ARC Review: Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway

Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway (June 23, 2015)
352 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: I snagged a copy at ALA Midwinter. This didn't affect my honest review. Thanks Harper!
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: Emmy’s best friend, Oliver, reappears after being kidnapped by his father ten years ago. Emmy hopes to pick up their relationship right where it left off. Are they destined to be together? Or has fate irreparably driven them apart?

Emmy just wants to be in charge of her own life.

She wants to stay out late, surf her favorite beach—go anywhere without her parents’ relentless worrying. But Emmy’s parents can’t seem to let her grow up—not since the day Oliver disappeared.

Oliver needs a moment to figure out his heart.

He’d thought, all these years, that his dad was the good guy. He never knew that it was his father who kidnapped him and kept him on the run. Discovering it, and finding himself returned to his old hometown, all at once, has his heart racing and his thoughts swirling.

Emmy and Oliver were going to be best friends forever, or maybe even more, before their futures were ripped apart. In Emmy’s soul, despite the space and time between them, their connection has never been severed. But is their story still written in the stars? Or are their hearts like the pieces of two different puzzles—impossible to fit together?

Readers who love Sarah Dessen will tear through these pages with hearts in throats as Emmy and Oliver struggle to face the messy, confusing consequences of Oliver’s father’s crime. Full of romance, coming-of-age emotion, and heartache, these two equally compelling characters create an unforgettable story.

My Review

What did I think of Emmy & Oliver? I thought it was brilliant. I read this book in 24 hours. I stayed up so late reading this book that I was beyond tired the next day at work. I don't regret my choices. Emmy & Oliver is written with heart and precision.

When you read this book you will fall right into Emmy and Oliver's story. The characters in Emmy & Oliver are brought to life in a beautiful way. Their story is full of hope, heartbreak, memories, and futures. I loved these two characters. They are my new favorite couple with their complex special relationship. They just seem to get each other and make each other better. I am very fond of them. I also happen to like all the other characters in this book as well. Emmy's friends are wonderful. I also appreciated that even though their families aren't perfect, far from it, they are a part of the story. I feel like young adult novels are getting better at making sure they mention family members, because they do play a big part of your teen years in some way. Friendships and families matter.

Emmy & Oliver is officially a new favorite of mine this year. I could spend forever with Emmy and Oliver. This one is going to be a re-read for sure. I don't read a lot of YA contemporary, but lately the few books I have read have blown me away. My favorite thing about this book besides its wonderful characters is its uniqueness. I have never read a book quite like this before. Not to mention the simple and perfect cover. I adore it so much. I love the color and the font and everything. Basically I love everything about this book. Grab a copy of Emmy & Oliver as soon as you can. You won't regret it. 

12 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes! I'm so glad you loved this book! I really did too. The characters were so lovely and I just fell head over heels for them and their story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't what I was expecting, it was even better!! Love these characters! :D

      Delete
  2. I stayed up all night to read this one too. It's definitely one of the best books I've read this year, and it just keeps staying with me, even months later. :)

    I agree with you about the families - I loved learning about both Emmy and Oliver's families, and it was nice to see how realistic they were. I think that's why I keep telling people why I think this book will be the next big book, even for the adults who don't typically read YA. And if they don't make a movie out of this one, I will be livid because it would be such a great movie!

    On a side note, I'd love to see a follow up of this one that follows Emmy to college. I think it would be even more adorable (and maybe even a bit sad) to see how that dynamic changes their relationship. But just like you said... I could also spend forever with these two because they are just everything I ever needed out of a YA couple.

    Erin @ The Hardcover Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmy & Oliver wasn't even what I was expecting, but I loved this book even more!

      I agree, adults and teens alike would like this book! It was unique and wonderful. (OMG, it would make a great movie!)

      Delete
  3. So glad you enjoyed this! I really want to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED THIS BOOOOK. The absolute best. I could have honestly listened to the two of them just talk and be together forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The way they were as friends and more was just perfect.

      Delete
  5. I have noticed a positive trend for more present/healthy families in the books i'm reading. Definitely a plus! And wonderful review, I completely agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I have been noticing the more family presence too and I am loving it. I am glad you are too.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, this must've been amazing if it kept you up reading all night! I have this book but have not yet started to read it, so maybe I should do that very soon? I also love the sound of all of these characters too :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely amazing! You should read it soon. I support that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top