June 22, 2015

Review: Half Wild by Sally Green

Half Wild (#2) by Sally Green (March 2015)
400 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Source: The library.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
My Rating:

Warning: May contain spoilers of the first book in the trilogy.
Goodreads Summary: "You will have a powerful Gift, but it’s how you use it that will show you to be good or bad."

In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, seventeen-year-old Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the world's most powerful and violent witch. Nathan is hunted from all sides: nowhere is safe and no one can be trusted. Now, Nathan has come into his own unique magical Gift, and he's on the run--but the Hunters are close behind, and they will stop at nothing until they have captured Nathan and destroyed his father.

My Review

Reading Half Wild turned out to be a bumpy ride. Did I like it? Yes. Did I really love it? Not quite.

When I began reading Half Wild the format and the writing of the book was a little hard to grasp.  It didn't flow very well at first and seemed choppy to me. I really struggled getting used to it. It wasn't that it was bad, just different. It did grow on me and I came to appreciate how the unique formatting and writing style added to the story.

I enjoyed the first book in this trilogy a great deal and although the second installment was good, it wasn't as good. I was more than excited to get back to Nathan and Gabriel, and thankfully these two characters didn't disappoint. They were just how I remembered them. I'm glad I got to spend more time with them. Nathan deals with the aftermath of receiving his powerful gift while Gabriel stands ever as his best friend. I do wish Gabriel could break free from Nathan, but love is a powerful thing. I also enjoyed meeting new magical characters. Joining Nathan and the group on their journey to save one girl and start a rebellion against those that are supposed to be the good witches made for an interesting read.

Half Wild was intense and had some very graphic moments. It was a unique read and one that I am finding hard to categorize. I am not sure who exactly I would recommend it to. Someone who is open to trying new things I suppose. Even though the first part of the book dragged a little for me (plot wise and because I was getting used to the writing style) the last half of the book really picked up. I loved all the action. It was complex and had a great ending. I really look forward to reading the next book. In all honesty, the last part of this book is what jumped my rating from 3.5 to 4 stars.

My review of the first book, Half Bad, can be found here.

6 comments:

  1. Half Wild sounds like it continues the series pretty well. I'm glad you enjoyed reading and getting back to Nathan and Gabriel's characters - I love to revisit characters as well. This series has me curious as it seems so unique, that it really is one you must try to see if it works for you. Wonderful review - glad you're enjoying it, Kay! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very unique series and that is why I love it! :D

      Delete
  2. I had the same issues with the first book. I've heard the second is better, but it doesn't sound like it from your review. I'll let you know my conclusion once I've read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were not a big fan of the first book I'm not sure how much you will like this one. I look forward to seeing what you think!

      Delete
  3. I need to get back to Half Bad.. I got distracted one too many times while listening to the audiobook that I just put it on hold. It's a bummer that Half Wild wasn't as good unfortunately that is the case with so many second in series... I'm glad the ending made up for the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only the whole book was as strong as the ending!! I hate when that happens.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top