June 12, 2015

Review: The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon

The Mime Order (#2) by Samantha Shannon (Jan 2015)
510 pages
Genre: Fantasy/Adult
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: The Library.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: Paige Mahoney has escaped the brutal prison camp of Sheol I, but her problems have only just begun: many of the survivors are missing and she is the most wanted person in London...

As Scion turns its all-seeing eye on the dreamwalker, the mime-lords and mime-queens of the city's gangs are invited to a rare meeting of the Unnatural Assembly. Jaxon Hall and his Seven Seals prepare to take centre stage, but there are bitter fault lines running through the clairvoyant community and dark secrets around every corner. Then the Rephaim begin crawling out from the shadows. But where is Warden? Paige must keep moving, from Seven Dials to Grub Street to the secret catacombs of Camden, until the fate of the underworld can be decided.

My Review

I liked the first book, The Bone Season, but I didn't love it. I felt like it got more hype than it deserved, but I just felt like I HAD to give the second book a shot. I'm glad I did. I ended up enjoying The Mime Order more than The Bone Season. (Sorry this review is kind of all over the place. Just go with it.)

The Mime Order begins right where the first book left off. Thanks to the Recaptains website and their review of the first book I wasn't lost when I started reading. I also liked how I was thrown into action right off the bat. I love me some action. 

One of the things I didn't like about the first book was how hard it was for me to follow the complex world full of so many different clairvoyant people, not to mention all the weird made up words. Luckily, it was easier to follow all of that in the second book since I had time to become familiar with it in the first one thus making this read a much more enjoyable one.

The second main thing I struggled with in the first book was how Paige seemed kind of dumb to me. I was having problems connecting with her for whatever reason. However, in The Mime Order I loved her. She was a stronger and harder woman. It didn't really surprise me too much that she is a stronger person after what she went through in the last book. My favorite thing about her... not only does she change, but she wants others to change as well and is willing to fight for it, even if it seems impossible. I also love Warden... it's too bad he isn't in the book as much as I would like. I won't even begin to talk about these two together. I'm sure you can guess that I am a fan. Forbidden love is my favorite.

The Mime Order focuses on the politics of the mime lordes and the underworld. It's the main focus of the book and although very interesting and important at times it did make me lose attention a little bit. I did like the book more and more with each passing page. The author does a wonderful job at building me up for the big to do at the end of the novel. It had a great ending.

The Mime Order is a dark and sometimes very gloomy novel. It's full of strong, weak, evil, and kind characters. The Final Verdict: I will continue reading this series.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed The Mime Order for the most part Kay. Book one was intense and load with so much info, but I ate it up because the world, magic, Paige & Warden are just so intersting. I'm sad the Warren is missing in action for the most part in this one, still I can't wait to pick this one up.
    Lovely review, Kay :)

    PS Congrats on your three year blog anniversary!! *throws confetti*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love this one since you liked the first one even more than me!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adore this series! The world and everything definitely takes time to wrap your head around but once it did, I had no problem just LOVING it all :D It just kills me that there's seven books in total though. The wait is agonizing, especially with that ending, don't you think?!? I'm learning to be patient haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this one. Loved it. I can't wait for more and more and more! The wait is horrible.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you gave this series a second chance. I'll have to look into this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kay..I own this and picked it up and set it back down despite loving book one , you have convinced me to pick it back up

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always nice when you get a second chance at a book and a character like Paige and enjoy it more than you would thought. I really like Paige already even if at the beginning she felt dumb to you. The naivety and hope in her to make people better is what makes heroes worth rooting for. Of course, I'm curious about her and Warden. Boo that they aren't together that much. Forbidden romance is always the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forbidden romance is 100% always the best! <3 :D

      I am so glad I gave it another try. Now I am falling in love with this series, especially Paige.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe this series is going to be like 7 books long or something. That scares me. I felt pretty much the same as you for The Bone Season so it gives me hope that you liked The Mime Order better. I have this one on audio so I'll get to it eventually - i just have to remember to read the Recaptains summary before I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So many books.... Since we thought the same about The Bone Season I am interested to see what you think of this one. I definitely recommend reading the Recaptians summary first. haha

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top