May 19, 2015

Review: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (#2) by Diana Gabaldon (1992)
743 pages
Genre: Adult/Historical Fiction/Time Travel/Romance/IDK
Publisher: Dell
Source: The Library
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: From the author of Outlander... a magnificent epic that once again sweeps us back in time to the drama and passion of 18th-century Scotland...

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland's majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones...about a love that transcends the boundaries of time...and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his ....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire's spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ...in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising...and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

My Review

I was hesitant to read Dragonfly in Amber simply because I liked Outlander so much, and the synopsis of this one had me weary. I shouldn't have been worried at all.

Dragonfly in Amber may have had a different feel about it when I read it and may not have been exactly what I was expecting, but I did like it. I liked it a lot. I really loved the air of mystery surrounding Jamie and Claire's story.

Jamie and Claire are probably one of my all time favorite couples. There is just something about them that I can't help but love. I think I love how stubborn they both can be but how strong they are as well. I love them both, even if Claire and Jamie can both occasionally be a little frustrating. It just makes them seem even more real. I know I care about these character like they are real. It's too bad they have to endure so much hardship during their wonderful relationship. Not only did I enjoy getting more time with Jamie and Claire, but I did like all the new characters that were introduced in this second book as well.

There were serious moments, funny moments, and everything in-between. I liked all of them. I also now watch the Outlander television show so I kept picturing those actors while reading, and I didn't mind one bit. I am actually looking forward to see what the show does with regards to the second book. 

Although I had a little trouble getting into the story at first, Dragonfly in Amber was a delight to read. The ending made me even more excited for the next book in the series. I am so glad I am finally reading all of these.

7 comments:

  1. I have only read Outlander, well listened actually but you have me wanted to try this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've enjoyed this series! I'll have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good but they are longer reads!

      Delete
  3. This isn't my favorite in the series, but I'll follow Jamie & Claire anywhere :) Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out better than I thought it would. I do look forward to the next book more!

      Delete
  4. I am glad this series continues to work out for you! I know I want to try the first book at some point, especially as it is a television show as well. The only thing is I am working my way through the George R.R. Martin books and I can only handle one huge book series at a time. But I will get to these!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top