January 7, 2013

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by: Laini Taylor


Daughter of Smoke and Bone by: Laini Taylor (2011)
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
418 pages
Genre: Young Adult

Summary: Barnes and Noble: “Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth has grown dangerously low. And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student, Karou, is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.”

Review: First when reading this book I was bored, and then I became intrigued, next I was sitting on the edge of my seat, and then I was like WHAT?!?!

I saw and read so many reviews on-line about how amazing this book is, so over a year ago I added it to my TBR list, it was rarely ever in at the library so I stopped looking, and then I got it for Christmas. I have two major things to say. One, it wasn't the best book I have ever read. Two, it was however good enough that I will read the second one.

Although I didn't find the first half of the book to be anything more than boring, it got better throughout. For some reason I just wasn't getting wrapped up in the plot, no matter how hard I tried to enjoy it. I felt like nothing was happening and there were too many unanswered questions. Luckily, once the action picked up I got so wrapped up in the novel that I couldn't put it down for the last 100 pages or so. It got really intense.

I will say that Taylor is a great writer. I really enjoyed the descriptions she gave and the emotion she was able to show through the text.

One big positive note about this book is how different it is from most of the other young adult supernatural/fantasy type books out there. I enjoyed reading something that was different and outside of my comfort zone. I at first worried it was going to be too much like the Fallen series by Laruen Kate, which I wasn't a huge fan of, but it turned out to be pleasantly different.

Karou, the main character, is really great. She is an independent, although at times lonely and somewhat pathetic, strong (seriously she can kick butt) woman. The only thing that really bothered me is her need for answers and her unwillingness to get them for so long. I know my description of her is a little contradictory, but like I said, I didn't like this book at first and then I fell a little bit in love. Akiva, the main male character, is described as dark and brooding and otherworldly attractive. At times I liked him, and at times he drove me insane. For someone his age, he does not always act it. Brimstone on the other hand is my favorite character, utterly complex and scary.

I will warn you in advance, the book ends with a frustrating, yet pretty shocking (although I kind of had a feeling it was coming) conclusion. This alone is going to get me to read the second book. Overall, I would still recommend that you get your hands on this book. Although it wasn't the best, it was still an enjoyable different read, and it was very well written.

Rating: 3/5   BUY Daughter of Smoke and Bone

This book counts towards my TBR pile challenge. Check it out HERE.

13 comments:

  1. Interesting to read a middle-of-the-road review of this one. I remember seeing it in a bookstore and liking the cover, but not really getting drawn in by the description, so I didn't actually buy it. Then, I too saw a million reviews giving it the utmost praise and have been left wondering what I'm missing out on. At some point, I do think I will get to it and see if I end up liking it or not, but it's nice to know there are differing opinions out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way, the synopsis really didn't grab me at first, but with all the praise I had to give it a shot. It was worth reading even if it wasn't my favorite.

      Thanks for stopping by Christine!

      Delete
  2. i just got this book for christmas, interested to see how it goes. thanks for the review! - Katie @ Inkk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to read your review once you finish it! Enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I listened to the audiobook of this one and I have to say, Zuzana was my favorite character :) Just her attitude made me love her. And I highly recommend this one as audio because the voices are amazing! It made me love the book so much that I ordered a print copy and I'm anxiously waiting for it to get here :)

    Thanks for following, I'm following you back. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Zuzana was a really funny character! That does sound like it would be really fun to listen to as an audio book.

      Thanks for following me back!

      Delete
  4. I got my hands on both books in the series, all because of the rave reviews the series has been receiving. Great to know it's different from the other books in the fantasy genre. Great review! :)

    Erfa @ Bring On The Ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This series does bring a new and fresh take on the fantasy genre.

      Delete
  5. I got this series for christmas too ! dang you are a fast reader . I still have a couple more books in my que though. thanks for the review. you really shed some light on it for me. - Katie @ Inkk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not always a fast reader, but when the mood hits I'm addicted and can't stop. Thanks for checking out my review and I hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete
  6. I recently bought this book because so many people have recommended it to me. I'm glad to hear that it is different. Hope to read it soon. Love how honest you are in your review. Thanks for sharing! :)


    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your honest review! This book is still on my TBR list and I need to read/review it ASAP. Thanks for visiting The Coffee Pot and following. New follower to yours as well!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you ended up on the favorable side with this one - I've never read it (and probably won't - it's not my kind of book), but I enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top