January 14, 2013

Review: Every Day by: David Levithan


Every Day by: David Levithan (2012)
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
322 pages
Genre: Young Adult

Summary: A is a teenager who wakes up every day in a different body. He does his best not to interfere in other people’s lives. Then one day he meets Rhiannon, and everything changes.

Review: Have you read this book yet? If not, go read it. I’m serious. I finally did and I shouldn't have waited so long. I don’t think it is a five star book, I’m giving it four, but it is a notable and can be life altering novel. I know it made me stop and think about my life.

This is a young adult book that every, and I mean every, teenager should read. This book is and has everything. Thought provoking, check. Full of life lessons, check. Interesting, check. Romance, check. Adventure, check. I could go on and on.

So you may be wondering why I am only giving this book four starts instead of five after my last few sentences of nothing but praise. Here is my reasoning. I felt like I would have gotten even more emotionally involved in this book if the relationship between A and Rhiannon didn't grow into love so quickly. I felt like it came a little bit out of left field. Also, I think it could have been a little bit longer, giving us more information on who A is. I’m not saying Levithan didn't give us any answers, he gave us enough, but I would have liked just a few more. In general I wanted a little more depth. Therefore I am only giving it a 4/5, but I still technically think it is a must read.

Now, I have two amazingly awesome things I want to share about this novel. One, the blurring of genders lines in this novel is fabulous. It really makes you pause and think about what really does matter in a person and what makes them who they are. Second, I loved seeing how A reacted when he woke up in different people’s bodies and how he had to adapt. I won’t go into more detail because I don’t want to ruin any of the surprises, but it is very interesting.

This book will make you stop and think about your life, about love, and how you spend every day. I give a round of applause to Levithan and his amazingly unique well written novel. This one will stay with me for a long time.

Rating: 4/5   BUY Every Day

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one. I keep recommending to folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will now also be recommending it to everyone! :)

      Delete
  2. OMG this was my favourite novel of 2012 (and possibly EVER)! It's one of those books that transcends genres and I think can find a spot in everyone's heart because it's so real and thought-provoking and touching. Levithan has a way with words and an understanding of people in a way that most others don't. Every Day is so introspective that it changed my entire perspective and my life. I'm not usually a pusher but I'm totally guilty of pushing this book on to anyone and everyone I know. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I finally read this book! It was really good. I truly think that everyone should read this book. It definitely made me stop and think about things going on in my life.

      I say push away, now I will too.

      Thanks for giving me that push to read it when you commented on my library loot post last week! You were right. :) I'm glad I read it asap.

      Delete
  3. I've heard only good things about this book, so I really think I'm now overdue to read it! I like your reasoning for why you gave the book 4 stars instead of 5 and I personally think it's good to not hand out too many 5 stars. I often have to remind myself that a 5-star should be reserved for only THE MOST AMAZING BOOKS I'VE EVER READ and that 4-star books can awesome, must-reads, but it's helpful to make a distinction between the really great and the REALLY, REALLY great. I'll be the first to admit though that I sometimes get caught up in my own enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way with my reviews, sometimes I get over excited and want to give all of them 5 stars!

      p.s. I think it is time you read it. :) Plus, then I get to see what you thought of it as well.

      Delete
  4. What a great review! I have not read anything by David Levithan. Crazy, I know. I love a book that will give me something to think about and this is not the first time I have heard that about Every Day. I really should read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seemed to be shocked too that it took me so long to get to this book, it is the first one I read of his. If you get the chance you should totally check it out.

      Delete
  5. Wowee sounds like some pretty powerful stuff.. This has been on my wishlist for a long time, I think it's just moved a couple of steps closer to the top! Great review :)

    ~New follower~
    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I hope you get around to reading it soon!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top