February 23, 2015

Review: The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas

The Burning Sky (#1) by Sherry Thomas (2013)
464 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: My blogger bestie got me this one for Christmas!!
Goodreads Summary: It all began with a ruined elixir and a bolt of lightning.

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's been told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the most powerful tyrant and mage the world has ever known. This would be a suicide task for anyone, let alone a reluctant sixteen-year-old girl with no training.

Guided by his mother's visions and committed to avenging his family, Prince Titus has sworn to protect Iolanthe even as he prepares her for their battle with the Bane. But he makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the tyrant closing in, Titus must choose between his mission—and her life.

The Burning Sky—the first book in the Elemental Trilogy—is an electrifying and unforgettable novel of intrigue and adventure.

MY REVIEW

The Burning Sky BLEW ME AWAY. It started off strong and ended strong. I am going to have to say that if you are a fan of books with magic in it and you haven't read this, then you really really should do that as soon as possible. I am now going to fangirl all over this book. Sorry, not sorry, but this book is so freaking awesome.

My favorite thing about this whole novel is the MAGIC. From the elemental magic to the every day spells, this novel is full of wonderful magic that just makes me wish harder than ever that I was magical. I wanted to live in this world oh so badly while reading it. I don't even want to tell you about all the awesome magical things you are going to discover when you read this because I know you will be reading this (if you haven't already), and therefore I don't want to take away from your reading experience. Aka: Read this book.

My second favorite aspect of the novel would have to be the characters. They are hands down some of the best characters I have ever encountered. Titus and Iolanthe are wise in their own ways and admit when they don't know something. I think they make a fabulous pair. It is almost comical how formal/proper they both are with each other at first, but that does change a little throughout the story at a natural pace, especially considering all they go through together. They are just so complex and you can't help but care for them. I felt EVERYTHING when it came to these characters.

My third favorite thing about The Burning Sky would have to be that there are no info dumps. Instead the author incorporates end notes into the book. I loved them. So every time the author wanted to elaborate on a spell, or a little piece of history, etc. she would use an end note. Brilliant. Unique. I loved it.

Did I dislike anything about The Burning Sky? I honestly don't think that I did. Not a single thing comes to mind. I am sure it wasn't perfect, no book is, but for whatever reason I simply just enjoyed this book to the max. I was never bored and completely immersed in the world.

Well, I feel like I have gushed enough over this book for now. I think it is time for me to start wrapping up this love fest of a review. Just in case you are still wondering (although I'm sure you are not), I would have to say, with 100%certainty, that I recommend The Burning Sky to everyone. Before I even finished this book I ordered the second one from the store. No joke. I NEED MORE. I can't wait to read it.




8 comments:

  1. I'm always intrigued when you 5-star a book -- will probably stubbornly wait til the whole series is out though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't give five stars too often... so I think you should give this one a try! lol I sometimes like waiting until all the books are out or mostly out as well. The last one comes out this October. :D

      It's good to hear from you! I hope you and the baby are doing well!!!

      Delete
  2. EEP I LOVE THAT YOU LOVE THIS ONE AND THAT THIS REVIEW IS A LOVEFEST :) Book pushing FOR THE WIN! I can't wait for you to read The Perilous Sea :D : D: D :D Titus and Iolanthe <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that you bought it for me which got me to read it and I will forever be thankful!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds super interesting!!! I haven't heard of it before; I'll definitely have to check it out. :-)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top