February 10, 2015

TTT #32 - Romances I Do Want/Don't Want in My Books


Give me LESS of these types of romances in my books
1. Insta-Love - I am over it. I am more partial to a slower building romance or friendship. Not just, "I saw you and you were pretty and I said hi and then I knew I loved you. The end."
2. Love Triangles - Unless it is expertly well done, and I don't feel like the author is just using it because they can, and if it actually MAKES SENSE then I think they are okay. BUT for the most part I'm not a fan.
3. Characters Not Sharing Their Feelings - I know every relationship has its ups and downs, but when characters just refuse to actually talk about something and then it leads to a horrible miss-communication,a break-up, or worse, drives me insane!
4. A Dark Past - I like romances to be complicated and such but a lot of the time I just want one (particularly New Adult books) that doesn't have such damaged characters. I think overall I just prefer romantic comedies, a romance that offers a lot of cuteness and a lot of laughs.

Give me MORE of these types of romances in my books
1. Hate to Love -A book that has two people that annoy the crap out of each other or happen to be sworn enemies, but they end up falling in love anyway in the end... sold.
2. Best Friends to Love - Who doesn't love a romance where the characters discover the deeper feelings they have for their best friend?
3. Kissing - I am not asking for full blown sex scenes, but some steamy kissing... I can't get enough of that. It is also very frustrating when it takes so freaking long for a couple to kiss even though they already admit they like each other, that is just ridiculous. I like to shout at them "Let's get a move on folks and kiss already."
4. More Uniqueness- I'll take just about anything that is out of the norm.

How do you like your romances in your books?

17 comments:

  1. Oooh - I agree that some of my favorite reads are those that have Hate to Love romances that brings out all the sparks!! And, who can resist kissing right - lol. Speaking of romances - I'm trying to remeber if you've read The Winter King by C.L. Wilson? One of my favorite romances last year. It has a terrific hate to love / enemies romance set in a parnormal/fantasy world.
    Thanks for the fun post, Kay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read The Winter King!!! **going over to goodreads right this second to check this book out. :D

      Delete
  2. Dark pasts can be done right, but I agree they're overused, and often used cheaply, as throwaway plot points just for an easy reason to have a complicated, wounded character. It's as bad as the "rape as character development" trope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can certainly be done right, but I think they have been overused as of late and like you said, sometimes not executed well.

      Delete
  3. Great list. I have a few similar ones on my own list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you have dark pasts on this list! I totally agree!!! Not a fan of insta-love either! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hate to love and best friends to love. YES YES YES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I love the haters to lovers trope..it creates such wicked banter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can deal with a character not sharing feelings, but I can't deal when the whole plot centers around a conversation neither characters will have with each other. Drives me up the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. UGH Characters not sharing their feelings is a good one. JUST TALK TO EACH OTHER ALREADY. And yeah, I am over dark pasts too. I'll take rom coms any day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. UGHHHH LACK OF COMMUNICATION IN ROMANCES IS THE WORST. I completely agree with your entire list. I've had enough of dark pasts as well. Give me straightforward cute romances any day. AND MORE KISSING. MOOOORE. Characters just don't kiss enough in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE WORST!!!!!!! And seriously... when it takes forever for a couple to kiss... come on people! haha

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top