March 8, 2013

Previously On... T.V. Shows Get Recaps. Why not books?

Warning: This is a slight rambling rant about my horrible memory with a lot of Despicable Me cuteness. Sit back, enjoy, and share your own thoughts below.

I will admit that I watch a good amount of television. I recently became addicted to Downton Abbey and I have a soft spot in my heart for Psych, Vampire Diaries, Modern Family, and more. I won't keep going on, that would take a while, but when television shows do their little recap of the previous episode or ones even further back that pertain to the upcoming episode I'm not bothered, I actually love when I hear the words..."Previously on..." Unless of course I've been watching the show back to back and I don't need  a refresher but that is something totally different. So what does my rambling about television shows have to do with books? Well, to put it simply, we need those "previously on" recaps when dealing with books in a series or trilogy.

Have you ever read a book in a trilogy or series and then have to wait a year for the next one to be released? I'm sure you have. Well, have you ever pretty much forgotten almost everything that was in the previous book? Then you start reading and you are really confused. It looks something like this.



I have and I am completely guilty of this. This frustration came to me recently when reading Requiem and the last Sookie Stackhouse novel. But don't be fooled, this happens to me almost every single time. I read a LOT and I can't always remember every book that I read, at least not all the details. Especially when I don't get my hands on the new book in the series for a while after it comes out. So really usually it is more than a year since I last read the previous book. So one day a while ago I had an idea...



Every book in a series/trilogy should have a short recap at the beginning of the book.  It doesn't have to be long, just a page will do. Highlight the important events of the previous books and maybe remind us of the characters. That is all I ask. I doubt it will ever happen, but I can hope and rant about it on my blog. :)

So many times before I pick up a series where I left off I have to look up a summary of the book online to refresh my memory. It's a lot of work, but when I don't do that I usually end up confused. Therefore this one page would do wonders to my sanity.

This is me when the new book comes out that I have been anxiously waiting for.



This is me when I finally get my hands on the book, start reading, and realize that I don't know what is going on because of my horrible memory.



No one wants to feel that way. Therefore, I firmly believe that there should be a "previously on" version for books.

Heck, maybe as a blogger I should offer up some previously on posts on my blog for when new releases come out. Hmm... I'll have to brain storm more on that later since it may be difficult to do if I can't remember myself.

My rambling discussion post is now over. Discuss away! Do you think books should have "previously on" summaries at the beginning of a book?

10 comments:

  1. I think that's a great idea, Kay! Now here's something to think about... should the "Previously On" include what's happened throughout the entire series up to that point or should it solely focus on the previously released book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question to think about. I feel like it would be harder to recap more than one book, although it could probably be done. With series that are longer it would be nice to get a longer recap. I'm always forgetting what has happened before.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! You have a great blog! I am a TV addict too. I read while I watch TV. Drives my husband crazy! :-) Thanks for stopping by and following my blog, I am now a follower of yours. Can't wait to read more of your posts.

    Chelsea @ Starbucks & Books Obsession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I occasionally read while I watch TV too. The best of both worlds.

      Delete
  3. They totally should! It sometimes takes a while for a book in a series to be published, and instead of having to read the book before it, the reader should just be able to read a short summary of what happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I can never remember especially with how many different series I read!

      Delete
  4. I recently became addicted to Downton Abbey too! So sad I have no new more episodes to watch :(

    I absolutely agree! The first chapter of every Morganville Vampire book has a short recap of the characters and what has happened. Very useful if you aren't reading them back to back.

    One of the book bloggers I follow has created "Happily Ever Endings" which summarize the ending of books in series so you can refresh your memory before picking up the latest book. http://amberinblunderland.blogspot.ca/2011/10/happily-ever-endings-list.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that link! You rock! There are some series I read that don't necessarily need a recap because they could be stand alone novels, but those are rare for me.

      I miss Downton Abby so much! Season three finale was painful and I have to wait way too long for season four. :(

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this idea! I have this problem all the time too. I always used to re-read the previous books before a new installment got published, but I just don't have time to do that anymore. I think a "previously on" feature would be awesome if you wanted to try it -- my suggestion would be that going forward you write it up right after you read a book you know will have a sequel and save it for when the next book's publication date gets close. It wouldn't be the same as a review, more like a listing of key points, characters, loose ends/questions you hope will get addressed, etc. Might be great for you AND for the blog, just don't forget to mention there will be spoilers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I used to reread the books before the new one came out as well, I just don't always seem to have the time anymore. Thanks for the GREAT idea! I should totally start doing this. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top