March 4, 2013

Review: If I Stay by: Gayle Forman

If I Stay by: Gayle Forman (2010)
Publisher: Penguin Group
320 pages
Genre: YA Fiction

Goodreads Summary: In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make, and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

My Review


I feel like there have been a lot of reviews of this book recently which is kind of interesting since it came out in 2010. I myself didn't even know a whole lot about this book until I entered into the blogging world. With no further ado, here is my review of If I Stay.

I was cautious and unsure at the beginning. I was treading lightly at this new type of story, written different than what I’m used to, with no chapters but instead stamps of time and blocks of the past to separate the story. I actually ended up really enjoying this format in which the story was told.

It was heart wrenchingly beautiful. I can say with certainty that this novel will not easily be forgotten. It’s not one to read if you are looking for something light. It is something you should read if you are looking for something profound.

I put the book down only after I had finished it in one day. I cried. Have tissues handy. I was lucky enough to know this in advance and was prepared.

For some reason there isn’t much else I have to say. I suggest you read this book. It has that effect on you, kind of like Every Day by: David Levithan.

Just in case, a heads up: this book is kind of graphic with the details of the accident and teenage sex isn't treated as a big deal. 

One more small thing. When I found out there was a second book....I had that big ridiculous smile on my face while I was bouncing in my seat at my computer. Best news!

RATING 4.5/5   Buy If I Stay

16 comments:

  1. I think there has been increased attention for this book since Gayle Forman's Just One Day series is pretty hot right now. I've heard such good things about all of this author's books, so I will have to get around to them sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so out of the loop. I guess I'll have to try Forman's Just One Day series since I enjoyed this one so much!

      Delete
    2. I just read a really great review of it on another blog I really love Matched that made me even more excited to give this author a try!

      Delete
  2. Being that I haven't read Forman's latest novel, Just One Day, I don't have any basis of comparison; however, I've heard nothing short of positive things about her writing in general. I do like when an author takes creative liberties with their choices in terms of writing style and formatting, so this intrigues me. And if it's anything like Levithan's Every Day (as you say), then I know I'm in for a wonderful treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to read Just One Day but I'm going to have to now! It reminded me of Every Day because it was different and emotional and thought provoking. I think you will like it if you liked Every Day.

      Delete
  3. Okay, you definitely convinced me to read If I Stay. Hopefully it'll make me feel tons of emotions, lately all the books I've been reading didn't make me feel anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you enjoy it. I hate when I get in kind of a reading slump where nothing seems to totally be grabbing me.

      Delete
  4. I've seen this book around, but wasn't sure if I should give it a try. But you've convinced me, it's now on my TBR list!! Get review!!!

    Thanks for the follow and I followed back :D

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the Book Crazed Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow!

      I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  5. OMG i loved this book so much! It's one of those books that doesn't need a lot of words. It just is amazing and everyone needs to read it. I hope you love Where She Went just as much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get my hands on Where She Went!

      Delete
  6. Great review! I really like books that make me cry, that's how I know I really connected with the characters. I need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally just read this book a few weeks ago, and it was just as good as everyone said it would be! I like how you mentioned the graphic details, that was something I hadn't been expecting and it turned me off at first, but I'm glad I kept reading. I hope you get to read the second one soon! I enjoyed it even more than the first =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting them either, and I was slightly grossed out, but it was totally worth it.

      You have me even more excited to read the next one! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely loved this book. I just read it this year, but I honestly don't know where I heard of it. I probably read it because of the follow up book, Where She Went. Sooooooo good!

    Glad you liked this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Where She Went!! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top