March 21, 2013

Review: Slated by: Teri Terry

Slated by: Teri Terry (Slated #1)
Publisher: Orchard Books
448 pages
Genre: YA/Dystopian

Goodreads Summary: Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost forever.
She’s been Slated.
The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?

My Review

I’ve been thinking it over…how to start this review, and nothing seemed to pop out at me. No, I haven’t been slated recently, although sometimes it feels like I’ve lost my memory. So I’m going to keep it simple. This book was a hit with me and it lived up to its synopsis. I thought it was a fresh new read and it turned out to be a pretty good page turner. Read it! 

I want to briefly discuss the dystopian aspect of the book. We were given a fair amount of answers to how the society came to slate people (erase their memory completely), but it takes a while to come about and the idea hasn’t been fully given to us, but I’m sure we will have more background information coming so I was okay with it. I did find it odd that they only slated children who have broken the law to give them a second chance at life. How many children are actually criminals and why are the adults not getting this second chance? I think the book mentioned that it is easier to slate kids because of their age and easier for them to relearn things, but it still was kind of off-putting. Then again teenagers can be pretty rebellious. ;) The whole idea of being slated is creepy on its own, let alone that the government seems to be everywhere and know everything... did I mention that the kids who are slated have to wear a bracelet that is connected to their feelings/brain? If they become a 'threat' by showing certain emotions they are automatically punished. This gave me the chills. This whole book gives me the chills and that is one of the biggest reasons why you should read this book. The writing/plot is that good. Okay that wasn't so brief...moving on.

For the most part I really loved Kyla. She was an interesting main character, but my favorite part was her relationship with her “mother,” or at least who her mom is after she was slated. We have no idea who Kyla was before she was slated…for the most part. But you will have to read Slated to find out more about that. Anyway back on topic, I think her relationship with her mother is interesting, intense, and full of questions. There is more to it than what meets the eye. I think this relationship will play an even bigger role in the upcoming books, at least I hope so. Kyla and her "sister's' relationship was also something to write home about, it was perfectly done. On the other hand, her relationship with Ben, another teenager that has been slated and goes to her school, was cute, but didn’t do a whole lot for me, I don’t know why but I felt like some chemistry was missing.

Another really great and interesting aspect of this book is getting to watch how Kyla deals with being slated. It is funny to see Kyla, a teenager, not know how to get out of a car or other simple things that she should know how to do but doesn’t since her memory has been erased.

There are a few shocking plot twists that came out of nowhere, which as you probably know by now I love, but one was pretty obvious. This was slightly disappointed, but since it was executed well it didn't really bother me. The ending was good, but it certainly has me waiting impatiently for the next one. Luckily I won’t have wait long.

In the end, I recommend this book to those looking for a new dystopian novel with some laughs, intriguing relationships, and some intense scenes that will leave you wanting more.

RATING 4/5  Buy Slated

7 comments:

  1. Hmm, that sounds interesting. I will add it on my list. :)

    Athina~http://between-my-lines.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole notion of "slating" someone sort of echoes the idea behind rehabilitation of prisoners, so I wonder if that's where Terry got the idea. It certainly gets you thinking on a more base level about right versus wrong and whether or not people can really change or if they are who they are deep down to the core. I'm sure you already know that dystopias are one of my favourites, so I'm keen on seeing how this one measures up. The plot doesn't sound super revolutionary but I still think I'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point about the rehabilitation. You should definitely check it out. Some dystopian novels are hits and some are misses...this one was a hit, at least for me!

      Delete
  3. Yay I am glad you ended up liking it too!! I got the chills too when I'd think about slating. Especially after people started getting slated without committing crimes. The situation seemed so delicate, hopeless, confusing, desperate - I felt so many things for Kyla! I hadn't really thought about the fact that only kids could get slated - until they turned 16, right? Makes sense it is an adjustment thing but maybe we will get more information in the sequel. And I also found Kyla's relationship with her "mother" intriguing. I didn't really like her mother at first but then she showed a lot of changes.

    Great review! So happy you enjoyed this :)

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and reviewing this wonderful book and putting it up on your blog. You got me to read and I certainly don't regret that.

      I hated Kyla's mom at first, but she started to grow on me. I think there is more to her than meets the eye. I can't wait to see what book 2 has in store for us!

      Delete
    2. Book two comes out soon! :) :) Can't wait! Hopefully it's just as good as Slated!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top