March 11, 2013

Review: Requiem by: Lauren Oliver

Requiem (Delirium #3) by: Laruen Oliver (2013)
Publisher: Harper Collins
391 pages
Genre: YA/Dystopian
*This review contains spoilers from the previous books in this series.


Goodreads Summary: They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past. But we are still here. And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ© of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.
Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.
But we have chosen a different road.
And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.
We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

My Review

Delirium hooked me in, Pandemonium got my heart racing and left me with hope, and then came Requiem, the final installment of this unique more than meets the eye trilogy, and it let me rest in peace, for the most part.

I’m going to come right out and say it and talk about the ending first. I’m satisfied. That’s right, I’m sure you have heard by now about the ending of this trilogy that it doesn’t exactly tie up all the loose ends (well now you have anyway). I’m not overly happy, but I can see why it would end this way, without answering every question, and it doesn’t bother me. It gave me hope and that after all is a very important emotion to have. It was almost like it gave the readers a choice, something people that are cured don’t really have. Something worth reading/fighting for if you get my drift.

Now let’s go back to the beginning. When I first started reading this book I was anxious but cautious. I have not yet read the novellas that go along with this series, so I was very hesitant at reading from Hannah’s point of view. I mean she wasn’t even really in the last book and not to sound too cold, but I didn’t really care about her. My focus was on Lena and Alex among some others. Don’t worry Delirium fans I soon changed my mind. Hannah’s perspective added loads of awesomeness to this book. It made everything seem more real, urgent, and important. Oliver seamlessly switched between Lena and Hanna. Not a single time did I get frustrated, and that is saying something.  

What to look forward to when reading this (without giving away any spoilers):

  • Oh Alex… I can never get enough of you.
  • Julian, I’m still not a fan, but thanks for trying. You are chivalrous.
  • We learn a lot more about Lena’s mom.
  • Hannah is back in one of the most important roles of the series.
  • This book is more about the resistance than anything else. Cue the suspense and action.
  • Lauren Oliver doesn't disappoint with more beautiful writing.

I can’t wait to see what more of my fellow bloggers and friends think of the end of this trilogy. Even though it is over… I will always love Alex.

So pretty much I’m telling you to read it. If you are new to this series then you should start from the beginning. If you are already a fan… then what are you waiting for?!

RATING 4/5    Buy Requiem

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to see that another reader was satisfied with the ending! I have heard a lot of negativity, but really I got why she did it. This was an awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know almost everyone seems to hate the ending but I think I really understood why she did it as well. Plus this means in my head it ended up exactly how I wanted! :)

      Delete
  3. I seriously need to make time to read this book -- it's just sitting there mocking me from the delivery box it came in that I never even had time to unpack! And I'm so happy to hear that we learn more about Lena's mom -- I always loved that angle of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I have similar anxieties about this book that you had going into it plus a few more. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews and I am worried I will end up disappointed. I really enjoyed Requiem but Pandemonium was just ok for me. Your review gives me some hope. I didn't care about Hana either and was surprised she is brought back with such force but i have nothing against her if she adds to the story. And I really want to learn more about Lena's mom. I just worry Lena won't end up with Alex. I want a happy ending for them. Gah. Well I will be reading this anyway and shortly. I am hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top