February 18, 2013

Review: The Waiting Sky by: Lara Zielin

The Waiting Sky by: Lara Ziein (2012)
Publisher: Penguin Group
246 pages
Genre: YA Fiction

Goodreads Summary: One summer chasing tornadoes could finally change Jane's life for the better.

Seventeen-year-old Jane McAllister can't quite admit her mother's alcoholism is spiraling dangerously out of control until she drives drunk, nearly killing them and Jane's best friend.

Jane has only one place to turn: her older brother Ethan, who left the problems at home years ago for college. A summer with him and his tornado-chasing buddies may just provide the time and space Jane needs to figure out her life and whether it still includes her mother. But she struggles with her anger at Ethan for leaving home and feels guilty--is she also abandoning her mom just when she needs Jane most? The carefree trip turned journey of self-discovery quickly becomes more than Jane bargained for, especially when the devilishly handsome Max steps into the picture.

My Review

Are you a fan of of the movie Twister? If you are, which I sincerely think you should be, then you will love this book. It is very similar to the movie with a slight twist.  I can’t recall reading a whole lot, if any, books on tornado chasers, making this book really unique. After reading this one I sincerely hope that changes, there needs to be MORE books on this subject.

I waited a long time to read this one and it was FINALLY in at the library. I may even have squealed just a little when I yanked it off the shelf. My excitement was spot on. I was not disappointed. I mean the cover alone is enticing. 

This is a quick and easy read at only 246 pages, both a positive and negative aspect of the book.  The great part about it being shorter is that it didn't take up a lot of my time, not to be rude to the book or anything, but I have so many other books I am waiting to read as well that I'm glad it was short. Who doesn't love a quick read that still gets your heart racing? The downside of this shorter novel is that although the story is well rounded, the author could have easily added some more depth and meat to the story. I could have read another hundred pages at LEAST of the characters chasing tornadoes. I wanted more time with the characters in this world and more time with tornadoes. 

This book has some dark quirky humor in it. It had me laughing throughout the whole book. However, It does have a darker more serious side as well, the main character, Jane, has an alcoholic mother. Jane was frustrating at times. I may have wanted to slap her, but since I have never really been in her position I felt like I couldn't really judge her for how she was handling it. The only thing that bugged me slightly was the fact that she seemed to be dealing with a lot of grown-up issues but still didn't seem that mature, then again every teenager has a right to be a teenager. All the characters were really enjoyable to read about, but like I said earlier, if  we got to spend more time with them it would have been even better.

This would make a great rainy day read. Next time you are stuck indoors and need something to occupy yourself I suggest you grab this one. Really you could read this book any day.

Rating: 4/5   BUY The Waiting Sky

6 comments:

  1. So... (Don't shoot me)...but I've never been a big fan of the movie Twister, but for whatever reason, this book really appeals to me. I will definitely have to check it out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry I won't. lol This book was very exciting! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I loved Twister! Haven't seen that movie in forever though. This book does sound like a pretty good read.

    And I totally understand the library excitement -- even though I have like a million books to read at home, since I'm trying to buy less books, I use the library a lot more lately. And I LOVE that you can put in a request on the library's website (kind of like Amazon but with a library card instead of a credit card!) and when I get the email telling me the book is available for pick up, I get super excited :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was really good, perfect for fans of that movie. I haven't watched it in a while either, but after reading this book I may have to change that.

      I love putting a book on hold/requesting one! So much fun! Wow, I believe we really are book nerds, but there is nothing wrong with that! :) I do the library a lot since I don't have a whole of money to spend on books.

      Delete
  3. I remember enjoying Twister when I saw it back in the day, but I live in Oklahoma, and tornadoes are a bit too much of a scary reality for me, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be reading a book about tornado chasers. But I'm glad you liked it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved this book. Although, I think that would be harder to read a book about tornado chasers when something like that could potentially be near where you live (although I sincerely hope that is never the case.) Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top