February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day Review: The Marriage Bargain by: Jennifer Probst

The Marriage Bargain by: Jennifer Probst (2012) 
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC
308 pages
Genre: Romance

Barnes and Noble Summary: A marriage in name only . . .

To save her family home, impulsive bookstore owner Alexa Maria McKenzie casts a love spell. But she never planned on conjuring up her best friend’s older brother—the powerful man who once shattered her heart.

Billionaire Nicholas Ryan doesn’t believe in marriage, but in order to inherit his father’s corporation, he needs a wife and needs one fast. When he discovers his sister’s childhood friend is in dire financial straits, he offers Alexa a bold proposition.

A marriage in name only with certain rules: Avoid entanglement. Keep things all business. Do not fall in love. The arrangement is only for a year so the rules shouldn’t be that hard to follow, right?

My Review

I decided to pick up a sexy romance novel to review for Valentine’s Day. Sadly, I didn't make the best choice. Many recommended this book to those that were fans of Fifty Shades or Bared To You. Although I wouldn't necessarily call myself of a fan of these books, I enjoy a good steamy romance on occasion and they fit that bill. This book did not.

The Marriage Bargain was missing a lot of steam and a lot of originality. I know romances have a general plot usually accompanied by cheesiness and that doesn't usually bother me, but this one seemed so familiar that I cringed a little. I had the occasional laugh while I was reading, but there was just nothing overly special about this book.

The characters were okay, but nothing to write home about. Although I really liked Nick he wasn't anything too new. I did however enjoy that there weren't huge dark horrible secrets/pasts that the characters had to deal with, like in Fifty Shades and Bared To You. That was a nice relief. On the other hand, there was way too much "I really like you but I’m not going to admit it crap."

I think if you are looking for a light read and don’t mind the repetitiveness of the romance genre that is obviously displayed in this novel then you would probably enjoy this book. For some reason it just didn't have me sold. I feel like it should have been either more cute with more comedy or more steamy and dark. I just felt like the book was trying too hard. 

Rating: 2.5/5   BUY The Marriage Bargain


Happy Valentine's Day!

6 comments:

  1. I hate when a romance is a dud. You kind of know what you're getting into, but then when even those limited expectations aren't met, that's a real bummer.

    Outlander would be my Valentine's romance of choice if only I had time for a re-read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outlander would have been a great choice, but you are right...who has time for a re-read? lol I still need to read the other books in that series. The synopsis of the second one is just turning me off for some reason.

      Delete
    2. The rest of the series has a lot more history/intrigue than the first book, but they are still really good. Don't start it until the mood strikes though, otherwise a book that long will just feel like a chore!

      Delete
  2. Oh boo! What a shame to pick up a meh book for valentines! I'm not a huge fan of romance novels but I do like it when they're either very dark and steamy of gritty and raw. I think you should try the Sea of Tranquility! ;) Anna and the French Kiss was cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations! I will check them out,especially coming from another reader who isn't a huge fan of romance. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice book and easy to read...! I've read the whole series...! I like all the books and still waiting got the Marriage Merger!

    Micky Johnson (Fishing The Deschutes River)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top