February 15, 2016

ARC Review: Reign of Shadows

Reign of Shadows (#1) by Sophie Jordan (Feb. 9 2016)
304 pages
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: I received an ARC from the publisher. This did not affect my honest review. Thanks Harper!
Purchase: Barnes and Noble | Amazon
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: Seventeen years ago, an eclipse cloaked the kingdom of Relhok in perpetual darkness. In the chaos, an evil chancellor murdered the king and queen and seized their throne. Luna, Relhok’s lost princess, has been hiding in a tower ever since. Luna’s survival depends on the world believing she is dead.

But that doesn’t stop Luna from wanting more. When she meets Fowler, a mysterious archer braving the woods outside her tower, Luna is drawn to him despite the risk. When the tower is attacked, Luna and Fowler escape together. But this world of darkness is more treacherous than Luna ever realized.

With every threat stacked against them, Luna and Fowler find solace in each other. But with secrets still unspoken between them, falling in love might be their most dangerous journey yet.

My Review

I really had no idea what to expect when I started reading Reign of Shadows. I barely even glanced at the synopsis before reading because that beautiful cover was what initially grabbed my attention. With that being said, Reign of Shadows was a darkly delightful read. I refuse to have any spoilers in my review so I apologize if some of my opinions don't seem very detailed.

From the terrifying creatures that only come out in the dark (that just so happens to be most of the hours of the day) to the bats that should never be eaten, Reign of Shadows is filled to the brim with striking details of the dangerous world that Luna and Fowler live in. A world I would never want to live in, but one I can't help but be captivated by. 

Luna is a wonderful character that you should meet. She is strong, surprising, and real. When she is forced to leave her tower she is both distraught and brave. There was nothing about her that I disliked. I can also guarantee that you will want to meet the troubled young man that goes by the name of Fowler. He keeps to himself and stays disconnected from others, until he meets Luna of course. These two have their ups and downs and I enjoyed every minute of their togetherness. There is also an abundance of other minor characters Luna and Fowler encounter on their journey, and none are too pleasing, yet all are extremely intriguing. 

Grab a copy of this book and sink into its pages. Once I started I couldn't stop. When I finally found the time I ended up sitting down and reading this book in one sitting. I loved every aspect that Reign of Shadows had to offer. From the first page I wanted to get to know the world and the characters that Sophie Jordan created. There are twists and turns and swoony moments. What more could you want?

Reign of Shadows ends with a bang, and I can't help but wish the next book was out already. I really can't wait to see where the next book takes us. I think this is going to be a bumpy and interesting ride.

12 comments:

  1. Looks so good!! I've seen this around but haven't got to it yet! I can't wait to check it out and read it! I loved your review!
    Alicia http://hashtaglovebooks.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia! I had such a fun time reading this one. It's worth a look.

      Delete
  2. What a treat to read this in one sitting! I really miss that (not that I ever did it often) and it might be why I've been going for short her books like comics and graphic novels lately. Gorgeous cover and interesting premise... I'm wary of adding more series to my TBR just now though. Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you about the series thing. I too am always a little cautious, we both know there are a million I have started and not finished yet. lol I love the feeling of reading a whole book in a day. :D

      Delete
  3. its hard to find one sitting books anymore. I hope to read this soon. I have read her other series and really liked it. I am looking forwared to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty good book, and I am thinking you will like it a lot!

      Delete
  4. The cover what was lured me to Reign of Shadows to begin with too! I started reading this a few weeks ago and got to the part where Luna had to leave the tower, but never got around to continuing with it. I'll definitely have to now because your review has me intrigued again!

    Brilliant review, Kay! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets so much better after that! You must keep reading. :D

      Delete
  5. I felt the same way! I couldn't stop reading. I usually have issues with fantasy books holding my attention because I'm often confused by the world-building or just don't feel like there's a good mix of action with it. This book was SO easy to read and quick! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!?! There was just something about it that made me love it.

      Delete
  6. Kay, did you know the twist about Luna going in? Did it blow your mind as much as it did me? I loved that girl something fierce! I'm so glad you loved this one too. Why do we have to wait forever for the sequel?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know!!!!! I was shocked and I loved it! It feels like we must wait forever and a day. I am so glad you loved this one as much as me!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top