February 23, 2016

Graphic Novels are the Best!


Five Stars

Giant Days by John Allison & Lissa Treiman (Vol. 1) (2015)
Goodreads

The Cover: I am liking it. I hope each cover features one of the main women!
The Illustrations: It had the perfect vibe and a great use of colors.
The Story: I couldn't have written a better story about college if I tried. It really did capture the essensce of what it means to be a freshman. I do wish it focused a little more on taking classes and not just the social stuff, although that is a huge part of college. With that ending... I am going to need the next volume ASAP.



Thor Vol. 1 (The Goddess of Thunder) by Jason Aaron (2015)
Goodreads

I love everything about this. EVERYTHING! Read it!




The Rise of Aurora West (Battling Boy) by Paul Pope (2014)
Goodreads

The Cover: Kicks butt.
The Illustrations: Also kicks butt. It may be in black and white, but it works perfectly. I loved all the detail too.
The Story: I thoroughly enjoyed getting to see Aurora learn the trade of her monster fighting father.



Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Two by Brian K. Vaughan (2009)
Goodreads

The Cover: It's not my favorite. It is just so plain to me.
The Illustrations: Just as good as they were the first time around.
The Story: I thought the sequel was just as good as the first volume. I can't wait for more! I really am loving everything about this series.



Lady Killer by JoĆ«lle Jones (2015)
Goodreads

The Cover: I don't even have enough words to describe how amazing and gross this cover is.
The Illustrations: Do you see the cover? Enough said.
The Story: This one blew me away! A 1960's housewife who is also a trained assassin? Heck yes! This one is gory, hilarious, and brilliant.


Four Stars

Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova (July 2015)
Goodreads

The Cover: Is awkward, making it perfect.
The Illustrations: They are charming with the perfect amount of detail. The facial expression on these characters are the BEST.
The Story: It is cute and fun (and wonderfully awkward). It reminds me of my awkward younger years in school. I think middle graders are going to love this book! I also enjoyed it since it had me reminiscing.

Study Hall of Justice by Derek Fridolfs, Dustin Nguyen (Jan. 2016)
Goodreads

The Cover: It's adorable and so much fun!
The Illustrations: I was a little disappointed by the lack of color, but other than that the illustrations were cute and fun.
The Story: This graphic novel features a young Bruce Wane, Clark Kent, and Diana Prince. Whats not to love? These kids are funny and full of spirit. If you are a fan of any of these characters, then you will enjoy this book. I had so much fun reading their story!

Three Stars

Spider Gwen by Jason Latour (2015)
Goodreads

The Cover: The crazy colors are eye-catching!
The Illustrations: They were good. There was nothing wrong with them, but they didn't really stand out to me like they usually do, which is important in a graphic novel.
The Story: Eh. Like with the illustrations, I liked the story just fine, but I wasn't a huge fan.


Oddly Normal by Otis Frampton (2015)
Goodreads

The illustrations were just average (although the use of color was pretty well done, gave off the paranormal vibe), but the story was pretty darn good. It handles bullying in an interesting (not a bad thing) way. I look forward to seeing where the next installment takes us. I think kids will like this one even more than I did.



The Infinite Loop by Pierrick Colinet (2015)
Goodreads

I am all about time travel, but for whatever reason I was really struggling with this one. I honestly can't even tell you exactly why. I did enjoy reading it, but it wasn't as epic as I was hoping it would be.



11 comments:

  1. Love Y the Last Man! I don't tend to go for superheroes, but I've heard such good things about the new Thor...I'll have to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should just give new Thor a try. ;) I am loving Y the Last Man! Thanks again for that rec. You were the one to get me to read it.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I'm always a little nervous recommending books, thinking people won't like them as much as I did (and I'm a book blogger...hmmm...talk about a conundrum, lol!) but I'm so glad to hear that series worked out for you!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I loved Thor vol. 1 too! It was so good! I definitely will add Lady Killer to my list now also because that one sounds great!

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't Thor the BEST! The sequel is good too. I think you will love Lady Killer! :D

      Delete
  3. Love this post! I really need to pick up more graphical novels. Lady Killer sounds like one I would love and the artwork as well. Definitely gross :) And I think I'll need to pick up Thor as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with both of those statements. ;) I would love to see what you think!

      Delete
  4. Great mini reviews, and I love how you sorted them by rating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY, I love these posts, I am adding a couple to me to read list! I have not read any of the ones you reviewed this time, so I am excited for new reads :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes me so happy! I can't wait to hear what you think. :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top