September 5, 2014

A Straight To The Point Review: The Queen of the Tearling by: Erika Johansen

The Queen of the Tearling (#1) by: Erika Johansen (July 2014)
448 pages
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: HaperCollins Publishers
Source: The Library
Goodreads Summary: Kelsea Glynn is the sole heir to the throne of Tearling but has been raised in secret by foster parents after her mother - Queen Elyssa, as vain as she was stupid - was murdered for ruining her kingdom. For 18 years, the Tearling has been ruled by Kelsea's uncle in the role of Regent however he is but the debauched puppet of the Red Queen, the sorceress-tyrant of neighbouring realm of Mortmesme. On Kelsea's 19th birthday, the tattered remnants of her mother's guard - each pledged to defend the queen to the death - arrive to bring this most un-regal young woman out of hiding...

And so begins her journey back to her kingdom's heart, to claim the throne, earn the loyalty of her people, overturn her mother's legacy and redeem the Tearling from the forces of corruption and dark magic that are threatening to destroy it. But Kelsea's story is not just about her learning the true nature of her inheritance - it's about a heroine who must learn to acknowledge and live with the realities of coming of age in all its insecurities and attractions, alongside the ethical dilemmas of ruling justly and fairly while simply trying to stay alive...

My Review

The Queen of the Tearling is a MUST read for all Fantasy fans, scratch that, it is a MUST read for anyone that even likes fantasy a tiny bit.

Here is why…

The Queen of the Tearling is full of rich memorable characters. The main character, Kelsea, is a strong, calculating, hard not to like Queen.

It is never boring. It’s full of magic, secrets, and intense scenes.

As you keep reading and get further and further lost inside the story you will acquire more and more feels.

Talk about beyond exceptional writing.

This quote: “Even a book can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and when that happens, you blame the hands, but you also read the book.”

Bottom Line: I NEED book two.


10 comments:

  1. So excited to read this one! After I finish my book club read (and probably its sequels) I have got to bump this on to the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like this one! The queen is just too awesome for words sometimes. I can't wait to see what you think.

      Delete
  2. I'm seeing a lot of buzz about this one and most of it's good, I think I'll give it a try at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good book, but on the longer side so it did take a little bit more of a commitment to read.

      Delete
  3. I have this but have kind of put off reading it, you've definitely convinced me to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy! It was better than I thought it would be.

      Delete
  4. I love your straight-to-the-point review, Kay! I bought this and really need to make the time to read it and not put it off any longer. I love the sound of the heroine and the setting, and I just need to move that baby up in my reading pile - lol. Glad you loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was very pleasantly surprised. :) I hope you get to it soon and love it as much as I did!

      Delete
  5. I agree with all of this and LOVE that quote! So glad you enjoyed this one :D :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top