September 29, 2014

Review: Of Metal and Wishes by: Sarah Fine

Of Metal and Wishes (#1) by: Sarah Fine (Aug. 5, 2014)
320 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Retelling
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: The library.
Goodreads Summary: There are whispers of a ghost in the slaughterhouse where sixteen-year-old Wen assists her father in his medical clinic—a ghost who grants wishes to those who need them most. When one of the Noor, men hired as cheap factory labor, humiliates Wen, she makes an impulsive wish of her own, and the Ghost grants it. Brutally.

Guilt-ridden, Wen befriends the Noor, including their outspoken leader, a young man named Melik. At the same time, she is lured by the mystery of the Ghost and learns he has been watching her … for a very long time.

As deadly accidents fuel tensions within the factory, Wen must confront her growing feelings for Melik, who is enraged at the sadistic factory bosses and the prejudice faced by his people at the hand of Wen’s, and her need to appease the Ghost, who is determined to protect her against any threat—real or imagined. She must decide whom she can trust, because as her heart is torn, the factory is exploding around her … and she might go down with it.

My Review

“We probably all have metal shavings embedded in our lungs. If you cut us open, we’ll sparkle in the light.” ~ pg. 6

What I Liked
  • It’s dark and it chilled me to the bone. A prefect book for the spooky month of October.
  • The writing (as you can tell from the quote) is breathtaking.
  • Diversity in young adult books! Always a plus.
  • I loved the character Melik. Loved.
What I Didn’t Like
  • It was so dark/harsh that sometimes the book stressed me out.
  • That ending. Torture.
  • I only liked the main character, Wen. I didn’t love her for whatever reason. I should have loved her but I only liked her. However, I can tell that many will love her.
  • I’m over love triangles, but I guess it is good that this one was at the very least unique and never boring.
I
Bottom Line: I will be reading the second one. You should read Of Metal and Wishes the next time you are looking for a beautifully written darker novel. I think fans of Phantom of the Opera will like it that much more. If you like this book then you should most definitely read Sarah Fine's other series, Guards of The Shadowlands, it is even better.

4 comments:

  1. I want to read this book so bad especially the fact it's a Phantom of the Opera retelling! I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE! I keep feeling like I should wait till book two is out, so I don't have to wait for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do need this book in your life!!! I don't think it would hurt to wait until the second one because now I'm very impatiently waiting.

      Delete
  2. WHY DIDN'T YOU LOVE THIS KAY? No just kidding. I am still in dramatic/caps mode from my previous comment. I'm glad you still enjoyed it. It definitely was dark but I have a dark soul so I like that kind of stuff (yep, still in dramatic mode). Can we side track for a moment and fangirl over the fact that Chaos comes out in FIVE DAYS! OMFG !@(*&()(@)(UED*@)* (<- fangirling) I am definitely developing Sarah Fine reading goggles and will just love everything she writes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I didn't fangirl hard core over this one, but I did really enjoy it a great deal! I can't wait for CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expect messages when I read it. (after Blood of Olympus.)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top